Last week I gave you a challenge. I had you throw in your best guess as to what kind of horsepower Project Buford T Justice would make on the dyno rollers at SMG Motoring in Hopedale, Massachusetts. Well, the results are in, the engine didn’t explode, and I’ve already got the car torn apart for the next phase of this seemingly endless project. First, let’s talk about the scene where the dyno fun went down. SMG motoring is a shop owned and operated by Fred Simmons Jr. Fred is a heck of a guy that I have known for many years. A successful drag racer with track championships and multiple Wallys on the shelf, his shop is a nice place where he does everything from full builds to engine modifications, and lots of work on the dyno. He’s developed engine packages for midget sprint cars, does lots of drag racing, and when we were there he was wrenching on and tuning an SCCA road race car. Needless to say, it is a fun place to hang out! Anyway, when I mentioned to Fred that it would be cool to spin the rollers one last time with the combo currently in the car before I take it all apart, he invited me out to the shop and I accepted his invitation. It was a pretty cold New England day ol’ Buford ran like a top for the 50 miles from my house to SMG Motoring. I had warned Fred that the engine wasn’t in the healthiest condition with a bunch of blow by and a pretty nasty knock when cold. He didn’t seem like he was going to care if I dented his floors with connecting rods so it was all good to go.
We made three pulls with the car and it was a pretty cool exercise to see the Atomic EFI continue to “learn” at wide open throttle. Two of the pulls are shown on the graphs below. The horsepower jumped nearly 10 numbers between the first and the second pull and then leveled right off for the third. Once we had those three pulls made cleanly we decided to let a sleeping dog lie and I decided that driving back home with a car that was still in one piece suited my just fine. The final numbers were 262 rear wheel horsepower and 306 ft/lbs of torque. That means that reader SEATSAFETYSWITCH is the big winner with a guess of 262hp! (email me your information to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll get your bs prize rolling!)
While those numbers are not Earth shattering it should be noted that it was almost exactly 100hp over the very first dyno pulls we made with the car a couple of years ago. When you consider that it is 100hp on a short block that we never touched we think that’s pretty cool. Cam, heads, ignition, headers, intake, and EFI were the upgrades made to the car in general terms. So now that you know what happened on the dyno rollers, let’s tell the rest of the story in photos and captions so we can get into the details, into what I did immediately following the dyno day, and into what’s coming next for Buford T Justice.
KEEP READING FOR DYNO VIDEOS, ENGINE YANKING VIDEOS, AND MORE INFO ON THE PROJECT –
BUFORD DYNO VIDEOS!