(Words and Photos by Jeff Lee) - For those who might not know, the Camaro 5 Fest is the annual get together of 5th generation camaro owners and fans from the uber popular website www.camaro5.com. Camaro 5 Fest 3 kicked off Thursday night August 2 with a cruise through suburban Indianapolis and led back to a packed parking lot cruise-in at the host Hotel. Friday and Saturday at the track there was a full schedule of drag racing, Pedder’s autocross, car show and vendor midway and a special area with many of GM’s Camaro team to hangout and talk to owners and enthusiasts. Followed by an open house Saturday night at RPM Transmissions in Anderson, IN just north of Indy.
Jeff & Skip Lee of HammerHead Housing had a great time at Camaro 5 Fest 3 displaying their new 12 bolt based HammerHead Housing for the 5th Gen Camaro at The Driveshaft Shop booth with Frank Rehak of Driveshaft Shop and having Thomas Hendrix of Hendrix Engineering’s 950HP Whipplecharged 454 LSX powered Camaro tear up the track with a HammerHead. Jeff documented the happenings with his camera from beginning to end, and posted a bunch of it via social media throughout the event, and now he’s given us all of his photos to display here on Bangshift.
Scroll down to see more news and notes from the event -
- Thomas’ car was also the original test vehicle for the Driveshaft Shop 9″ Ford kit.
- Thomas has abused the HammerHead for about 1000 miles on the street and has performed street, dragstrip, dyno, and sound testing.
- The HammerHead with an aluminum driveshaft freed up 20HP over the 9″ Ford with a carbon fiber driveshaft
- The HammerHead weighs in at 78lbs fully setup (29lbs less than DSS’ 9″, which is the lightest on the market)
- The HammerHead has also tested an average of 3.5 db quieter than the 9″.
- The HammerHead will also fit Driveshaft Shop stock length replacement axles and we found out that there is only 1/4″ difference in driveshaft length so DSS is working on modifying the yoke so it will fit their stock replacement driveshafts.
- As Chad would say: “the cool thing is” that if you have already bought the heavy duty DSS axles and/or Driveshaft (aluminum, chromoly, or carbon fiber) and you break your housing or gear set, all you’ll need to buy is the HammerHead differential and swap it out and be back in business.
- The Lamborghini in the photo is the owner of RPM Transmission’s new toy.
- The Tamale’s were awesome and from Tamale Place on Rockville Road in Indy. They’ve been featured on Diners, Drivers & Dives, and have over 100 4 star Yelp! reviews
- They had the new NASCAR Camaro on site
- Nissan GTR, Pontiac G8 and C4 Corvette were lurking around the autocross.
- SLP was on site with their new Panther and ZL770 cars The ZL770 is part of the Dream Giveaway of a 69 Camaro + 2012 ZL770 which included $35K for taxes.
- Billy Boat was installing exhaust systems on site (see photo with 3 stock exhausts next to a camaro on lift
- Oracle was installing lighting systems on site like crazy
- Danny Popp was giving winners of a charity drawing rides in the Lingenfelter L/28 Camaro on the autocross
- RPM Transmissions white IRS suspension white Camaro known as “The Fridge” got into the 8 second club with an 8.94