Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASCAR: No More Teardowns at the Track

Re: NASCAR: No More Teardowns at the Track

This could be just another way to fix the results. Hide the evaluating behind the NASCAR corporate walls. No I don't trust 'em one little bit.

Comment

teardown was open to all
      no tricks and secrets
      every day , this sanctioning body loses credibility
      toyota must be behind it , they have the money , toyota bought the series

Comment

Finishing 3rd just started sounding better. Have a great engine finish 3rd and get to use it next weekend. Win with it and lose it for how long?
        sigpic

Comment

Circle the black Toyota helicopters! Actually, Brian, the reason you see as weakest is probably the one that influenced the decision the most. As a former Cup crew member, the winner's engine teardown is a real PITA, especially in terms of late hours and lost time. The winning car isn't released from the winner's circle until all the hat dances and other pr bs is completed. The engine is then pulled, and inspection begins. Although the mechanics are well versed and things usually go smoothly, it does take time to do the measuring (heads pulled, pan pulled, each cylinder measured, stroke measured, etc.). The problem is that the "road crew" stays with the car during teardown and can't fly out with the rest of the team (if, like some teams, you fly all crew on one plane, then the others wait, too) or fly much later (3-4 hours later). Winning on Sunday doesn't override Monday's work schedule; somehow the work's gotta get done. Also, the semi leaves later and arrives back at the shop later, so even if the shop guys were going to help turn the truck around, that process starts later, too. Winning is great, but the hours can suck. Also, an engine isn't used for more than one race without being gone through (might be used as a test engine before being gone through), so aiming for 3rd isn't much of an option. And finally, the NASCAR release said that the inspection may be attended by all that would have been allowed to do so at the track (which is not just anybody). I'm not a big fan of NASCAR's management in general,but I think that this step is actually an improvement over the previous system. vic
          vic NASCARland

Comment

Hey Vic,

Thanks for the insight. Honestly, I viewed the loss of crew time as kind of like rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic.
            With all the massive amounts of money being spent by the teams this seemed like pennies, but a dollar saved is a dollar saved. I can respect that.

On the other hand....maybe this is a cost cutting measure by NASCAR to benefit themselves. Less need for tech guys on Sunday means that they can cut more earlier in the weekend, saving a days pay for a bunch of people. The salaried guy back at the shop is being paid anyway, so they can look the motor over.

Thanks for chiming in with your perspective!

Brian
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Working...
            X