Clear All

• Failure: The Secret to Success

Re: Failure: The Secret to Success

Ok, that's one for the "loved it" column. ;D

Brian
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I liked it, thank you for bringing this to my attention Brian.
      Honda is an amazing company, I have had many Honda motorcycles, and a few cars also. Good stuff. One of the things that I most remember from wrenching on motorcycles for years was simply the quality of each fastener compared to other brands (especially Ducati, uck). The quality was significantly higher throughout the entire machine right down to the screws that held the bodywork on!
      Soichiro Honda was an amazing individual, read the history without any music or drama and it's still awesome.

My first racing motorcycle was a NT650 Hawk that started life as my daily driver and ended up a super trick racer with the stock bottom end!

Comment

I'll tell you a faliure,their styling department is a pretty big one since the founding of that company.
        A real bunch of uninspiring cars and never (IMO) one nice looking one ever.What a bunch of crap.

Comment

And there you have it. The largest amount of success is found at the edge of the limits. If you go over the limits, bounce back. Staying in safe territory is mediocrity.

Good stuff.
          The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

I dug the story about the engineer from Japan being nervous that they'd lose their secrets if all the shards of block, connecting rods, and bearings weren't collected off the track when they blew the motor up.

Brian

Comment

It took me to Bob Glidden wrecking in horrifying fashion at Atlanta Dragway and while crawling out of his destroyed heap of a race car, bleeding and injured, he used the arm that wasn't all jacked up to throw his fire jacket over the top of the motor that had been exposed when the front of the car was torn off by the knife edge of the armco guardrail.

Brian

Comment

I hear what you're saying.

(In a way I'm glad there's been people on both sides of this thing so far...makes for good conversation)

Brian

Comment

Hmm, wasn't too bad. I do like how the one guy classified Honda as an Engine Company, as it really is. They make an engine for damn near every engine market, well every small engine market anyways. Man though, I don't think I'd want failure of picking a color on my shoulders though.
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Interesting.

In the same vein...I just subscribed to satellite TV, we live in the country too far away from cable, and I've been too cheap to do anything but use rabbit ears until the "digital" signal bullshit came about.

Long story short, I got to watch F1 practice for the first time for the Melbourne race last week. As the "best drivers" in the world consistently threw their cars off the track in what looked like amateur hour, I was thinking WTF!!

It finally occurred to me, rather belatedly, that they were pushing the cars beyond the limit, failing in practice so that they did not fail in the race.

Bob

Comment

Loved it. Just take the message.......

Comment

I was wondering if a subliminal message was how many non-Japanese they have working for them. Also at the bottom of the screen it said American Honda. Do they want to lose the foreign stigma, or get some of our bailout money?
                        Joe

Comment

Originally posted by 49F1
                          I was wondering if a subliminal message was how many non-Japanese they have working for them. Also at the bottom of the screen it said American Honda. Do they want to lose the foreign stigma, or get some of our bailout money?
                          Joe
                          Probably a case of localizing their ads. Just like Ford and GM, Honda has separate design offices for different areas. (I even tried to land a job at their Ohio R&D center once, and was on a team that set up a laser in their Alabama minivan plant.) They have a couple cars from their US branch that had a substantial amount of the design work done here, are built in US assembly plants, and aren't sold anywhere else. US market Accords come to mind - the car the rest of the world gets is closer to the Acura TSX. My Civic was built in Canada although it's more of a Japanese design. The US plants are staffed with a mixture of locally hired people and some engineers and management people from Japan.

Comment

Matt, what did you think of the film?
                            Beags....that quote from Mr. Honda absolutely rules. Let me ask you this. If this video had been produced by Ford or GM would it influence your feelings? (I'm diggin' your passion on this).

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                              Matt, what did you think of the film?
                              Beags....that quote from Mr. Honda absolutely rules. Let me ask you this. If this video had been produced by Ford or GM would it influence your feelings? (I'm diggin' your passion on this).

Brian

I'm betting no, or would piss him off even more as a waste of money on production costs. I'm with Beagle though on how it's 95% fluff. It reminds me of the Motivational Poster that says "If you are the type of person that is easily motivated by these posters then you are in a job that will soon be replaced by robots"
                              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                              X