X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Re: Failure: The Secret to Success

So Danica passes someone on the apron; about kills him.... and calls it a failure? I love the lead in to that - "My first race" .... WTF!!!!! rookies are not to pass anyone.... and here's it's a failure. Nice marketing ploy, perhaps Ford can use that with the Pinto explosions "it was a failure" so we barbequed a few rednecks? who cares?

As for the rest... Honda fires people for failure - how do I know this? leaf back through my posts and check out what I do for a living.

Leave a comment:

• Woodward_Dreams
    replied

Guys it wasnt that bad. And honda is doing pretty well (successful), even when compared to other foreign companies like toyota. So this video actually makes a lot of sense. if gm or ford used this right now, they would be burned for it.

(hide and duck)

Leave a comment:

• oldsman71
    replied

learning by your mistakes simple message.
    but i will never get them 8 min. back!!! I also felt
    the ones targeted were being manipulated
    I hate it when people use head shrinker crap
    on me! we saw lots of this crap when I worked for
    superior wheel. NOW plants closed, all heading to
    mexico, 900 people out of work in pittsburg,ks
    wheres the motivational poster crap from them now ???
    IN MEXICO >

Leave a comment:

• Matt Cramer
    replied

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
    Matt, what did you think of the film?
    Beags....that quote from Mr. Honda absolutely rules. Let me ask you this. If this video had been produced by Ford or GM would it influence your feelings? (I'm diggin' your passion on this).

Brian
    It was about 50% interesting and 50% filler that should have ended up on the cutting room floor.

Leave a comment:

• PatricksDad
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Falcon67
    replied

First thought is that (similar to the motivational comments), if you have to watch a film to get a clue on that "idea" you're already way behind the 8 ball. As far as racing goes, you either think that way, learn to think that way or sit in the stands and watch. I missed a Division 4 bracket win by .02, missed 4 Iron Man trophies (IHRA Wally) by one round. I know the deal behind each one. Come within .006 of making the final Summit round at the Bracket Finals and then gone out first round in the team competition. I've also been footbrake champion twice, been the local Summit No Box champ 5 times in a row, and beat up on some really good drag racers. There's a little time to be happy about it and a little time to be upset. But when the class call comes you get in the car, put on the belts and head back to the lanes - this round is the only one that counts.

Leave a comment:

• Not A Duster
    Guest replied

Originally posted by squirrel
    With all these great comments...I might have to actually wach the video.

nah.....

Yeah - that was kinda my take on it as well. As soon as I read the word "Honda," my eyes glazed over and I lost any interest I might have had in watching the video.

Lots of interesting reading in comments posted on the thread tho... ;D

Leave a comment:

• tonycpe
    replied

A stupid video and a waste of time. I can't get over how stupid it is.

Leave a comment:

• horsewidower
    replied

Originally posted by 49F1
    I was wondering if a subliminal message was how many non-Japanese they have working for them. Also at the bottom of the screen it said American Honda. Do they want to lose the foreign stigma, or get some of our bailout money?
    Joe
    It was clearly made for an American audience. The Danica segment blows.

The orange color lady was a non-sequitor that ruined the flow.

It was some soft baked pablum put together to make the chowderheaded liberal on the coast lines, which is their major customer base, feel good.

Still, in all, its probably effective with the target audience.

Bob

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied

With all these great comments...I might have to actually wach the video.

nah.....

Leave a comment:

• Darren N.
    replied

Oh man, so much good stuff going on in this thread. Definitely a great video to discuss, Brian.

Like Beagle, I do understand the bottom line but the PR and HR departments didn't win me over with this sappy video. There are definitely some valuable lessons to be learned from failure in general, from specific incidents, and from the great characters that shaped the modern global companies like Mr. Honda. Where they lose me, is that yes we can all be humbled by failure but what would you do as a responsible company to ensure success. Like Beagle, I fail (oh, did I say "fail"?) to see the link between their motorsports program and choosing colours. I understand what they're getting at but c'mon!

Beags, I absolutely love your comments. You remind of someone I used to work for, he was an ex-engineer for Ducati. He came from Italy to set up his own race, fab, and engineering consulting business in Montreal ~40 years ago. He would most likely express the same sentiments you have. I used to love discussing the F1 races with him, he would always go on a rant about both Honda and Toyota's performance in Formula 1: how can two of the largest automobile companies in the world that sell millions of vehicles each year not be able to pull their act together? Compare their resources to those of Ferrari or McLaren.

Here's a failure they didn't mention: what about Honda's F1 team? Wait, what Honda F1 team...they pulled out after last season :o. (Notably, Toyota's performance improved in Melbourne, haven't caught today's race yet).

As an engineering student I had to take a class on engineering ethics. It was mostly BS but there are very important things to take away from previous failures and successes. We looked at many engineering disasters and you can't help but feel humbled or even a slight bit guilty. The bottom line for me is, what are we going to do to make sure that no one forgets and that we are doing our absolute best to ensure history is not repeated. Although the failures discussed in this video were not too serious, my job is to ensure the safety of the public and to deliver the highest quality work.

I'll conclude with the same thoughts as Beags: Honda is a smart company but cut out the sappy sh*t.

As for having a different opinion about this video if it were produced by a domestic company: I would have burned them just as bad. We've had our successes and failures too, but if we want to think of ourselves as THE technological leader of the world then we've f-ed up real bad. I'll leave it at that for now.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Lohnes
    replied

You can't put a price on mental health.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• Brian Lohnes
    replied

That poster is pretty good stuff.

I have one in my office that says, "Meetings...none of us is as dumb as all of us"

Beags, I'd have paid a good sum to get you planted in a focus group about this film. Can you imagine how horrified the "group leader" would be when you unloaded the guns on them. HA!

Brian

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied

This is the one:

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
    Matt, what did you think of the film?
    Beags....that quote from Mr. Honda absolutely rules. Let me ask you this. If this video had been produced by Ford or GM would it influence your feelings? (I'm diggin' your passion on this).

Brian

I'm betting no, or would piss him off even more as a waste of money on production costs. I'm with Beagle though on how it's 95% fluff. It reminds me of the Motivational Poster that says "If you are the type of person that is easily motivated by these posters then you are in a job that will soon be replaced by robots"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X