• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lohnes Wreck Files: The Maverick that Tried to Kill Me

Re: The Lohnes Wreck Files: The Maverick that Tried to Kill Me

That's one scary photo!

Comment

What did you ever do to a Maverick, anyways?

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

From the height the wheelie bars are set, they're for looks only or to keep the car from going turtle.

Comment

Option B -- That car was SKY high on every lap. After it tried to run me down I used to joke over the PA that I was hiding under the table in the tower so it couldn't go vertical and get me.

He tied it down more after this incident.

If I remember right the guy who drove it was called "Dangerous" Dan Sullivan (especially by me) HA!

Brian
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Nice shot - scary deal for sure. A somewhat better idea in times of trouble is to drop on the ground and hug the wall. Be sure and take one last shot before eating dirt. :D Somewhere there is a video of a certain red haired dude we both know taking a big scoot away from the wall during a TF crash. Wish I had a copy of that, can't find it anywhere.

Haven't had that happen YET - but I'm sure the day will come. Spend a lot of time standing next to the wall with the camera, so I get real aware of what's going on around. Don't know how many car's I've bailed over to stop when I saw fluids leaking through the lens as they were staging. The worst are the one that start to spew when up on the converter - nothing you can do but watch and wait, you don't dare get out there when they are locked and loaded.

Back in 2006 we had a new track manager. We had problems with the towers, especially the right lane. I went out to help him one night to try and figure it out. It was like 38F and it was street night. Still there were about 40 cars there. They didn't care that the timing system didn't work - they would just bump in against the stage bulbs and take off on their own. It was damn cold down at the end messing with the wires. The fast cars were a little squirrely on the cold track as they went by. The slow ones were kinda cute - it looked like I could just step out and push them off sideways.

Oh - the main problem then was that when they wired the towers, somebody used a regular light switch to "disable" the data line to the tower and the switch was going bad.

Comment

The issue with that is the wall is made up of linked jersey barriers so it gives when hit.

Brian
              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                The issue with that is the wall is made up of linked jersey barriers so it gives when hit.

Brian
                Oops - thinking concrete. I would agree with the Pythons in that case: "run away! run away!"

Comment

Man, that pic reminds me of the time Ryan Bush rolled his Maverick (very similar in appearance to the one you have shown here) at the NMCA Finals in Memphis a few years back. He yanked the front wheels and when it returned to Earth, the front wheels were not straight and the car rolled over in what seemed like slow motion.

What is it about these Mavericks lifting the front ends? :o

Ron
                  It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Working...
                  X