Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mercury Racing Releases New OptiMax Diesel Outboard – Spark Fired Diesel V6, Incredibly Interesting Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercury Racing Releases New OptiMax Diesel Outboard – Spark Fired Diesel V6, Incredibly Interesting Engine

While we’re not usually the types to get excited about outboard boat engines, this one is something to behold. Called the Mercury Racing OptiMax, it is a 175hp, 3.0L V6 diesel engine that was built using 95% of the same parts used in the company’s popular gas outboards, and the darndest thing? It fires the […]

More...

huh. Must not have much compression if it needs a spark plug (??), and being a two stroke, does it have a blower? Now I'm curious about the Hercules multi-fuel engine...
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I had learned a long time ago, as america had multipurpose engines war related..
      yes one engine diesel and gas. I think one was in a tank.

somewhere near nine to 1 gas can do physically the 20 to 1 natural diesel.
      it is a matter of air and fuel swapping.

Gas engine builders have encountered this dynamic change in numbers via a static compression and dramatic air fuel change...hence dynamic compression values.

the most peculiar to me , you might guess, is the self balanced boxers. Many many different variants, one static build. One piston is direct to another. If I am not mistaken, subaru is one that shipped with different compression numbers, all while a tear down will find the same valves chambers and pistons...

they knew to measure air since the early 80s...and make a final compression number. Today that is everywhere.
      I know to call my own latest build a 10.2 to 1 for example.

Amazing diesel there in the boat engine. I would love to hear it running too.
      Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 21, 2015, 07:40 PM.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
      X