Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cyclekarts: We Want One!

Re: Cyclekarts: We Want One!

Hmmm, I wonder how many people in the Seattle area might be interested in doing this - (think cyclecross roads as venues)... it'll piss the bikers off; however, as I'm a member of both clans (motor/no motor) I can give absolution :D
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I wonder how / if you could get one registered?

Na,it's not the point these guys have tracks that they ride'm on.
      I really fell in love with the Idea of these a couple years ago.
      There are to many rules to have it considered a "CycleKart",such as:

One wheel drive, I believe no more than 8hp.
      They are not for sale,nor will they tell you how to make'em.
      I believe the wheels can be no greater than 17" (Honda preferred)

They frown upon performance oriented mods.
      Chris

Comment

Why don't you put in a bigger engine?
        Congratulations! You've thought of the very first thing everybody else asks. The reason we don't put a larger engine is that then the brakes would have to be more effective, the structure would have to be stronger; everything gets scaled up. We've tried this and the fun starts to get harder to find. We're going for visceral sport, not speed. Most people don't really understand this, so don't feel bad if you still think speed is the ultimate goal.

Don't forget: We've already tried making larger and smaller cars. From pedal cars up to full-size cars with gearboxes and hydraulic brakes and all those other concessions to progress. They're nice, but they are not what's called for in a CycleKart.

What about front brakes?
        What about them? Once again: Creeping-meatball-ism (to quote Mr. Deeds) Lots of complexity added (and some weight); not much gained. Certainly one would have a faster machine in some ways, but it would not be safe to mix cars with and without front brakes (we've seen the results of even subtle improvements in the single rear brake have problematic effects on the track).

A very important consideration is that with these very skinny wheels and tires, you will certainly lose almost all of your steering with front brakes, and just when you don't want to lose it.

Shouldn't you use different wheels and wider tires so they have better traction?
        This is original. I can't imagine why we didn't think of this before...These wheels and tires are such a fundamental element of what makes these cars appealing that we're not even going to answer this one, aside from directing you to seek a local go-kart club.

One thing: The 17" diameter wheel is very important. We tried 16" and they're just too small. The scale of the car approaches pedal-car size. 18" begins to be too close to Austin Seven size machine, which is nice, but the car is no longer small enough to throw around and one begins to take things too seriously again.

How fast do these go?
        Wrong question. You'd do better to ask how fun they are. If speed is your criteria for motoring sport, CycleKarting is not for you.

Pulled from the F.A.Q.

The attitude it was turned me off. For those really interested in "CycleKart" read all of the
        Literature on them (not a lot,so it's easy) It's almost like they think it's a secret.
        Sorry to rant they are slick and trust me I had drawn one up with the intent off building one,but couldn't
        bring myself to build it the way they say it must.
        C.Morgan

Comment

you can be certain that mine would be built out of aluminum tube, and have a roll hoop.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

No way! I was fatasizing about building something like this yesterday evening, and then BAM! Here it is right on the front page of BangShift.com. This truly is the best place ;D

We've got some spare B&S engines and CVTs at school from our Baja SAE effort and I think I ought to build one of these little buggers. Too damn cool.

After reading a little of their website, I'll definitely side with you guys: they seem a little stuck in their ways. Regardless, that shouldn't stop any of us from building something cooler and having a blast with it. 8)

Comment

I can understand if they're kind of keeping it spec racer-ish. They're also meant to have something of a rickety and unsafe feeling without actually being particularly unsafe, if I'm reading the page right. And it would be way too easy for somebody to make a "minor" alteration to the formula that would be turn one of these into a truly frightening beast, like putting a Katana 600 motor in there instead of the Honda. Which wouldn't be bad with a properly designed chassis. Something like a scaled down Lotus Seven kit car with more vintage bodywork, for example. Just a lot more unforgiving of a bad design. I think I can "get" the idea behind these and why they're worried someone may hop it up, but I'm not sure if I would stick with their formula unless I had a local group of them to race wheel to wheel with.

Comment

;D ;D ;D

Yup, I love the look, but just like you said.
                I picture a bunch of snobby white collar guy (no offence, I'm technically one) who've spent
                years trying to figure this out (read no mechanical ability) and know think by telling you
                It'll ruin it for them. Almost as if overexposure or improvements to their intention not design, is a
                bad thing.
                Meanwhile they post just enough to get you thinkin. It looks like the same page i read forever ago.
                Sorry I really got into these, I totally dig pre-war GP cars, then i got soured by their attitude.
                Hence my Bugnotti build of a full size one instead of a 1/3 size weakling.

Comment

Time for an outlaw circut.

CM -- Harold Martin is NOT allowed to build an M4 version....I don't care what you say. ;D

Brian
                  That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

;D ;D ;D LMAO
                    Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                    Time for an outlaw circut.

CM -- Harold Martin is NOT allowed to build an M4 version....I don't care what you say. ;D

Brian
                    Agreed,Conviently I love prewar cars so....

Sorry to sound like a pisser, but most guys that dig these cars are snobs, clearly i don't have the capitol
                    to hang out with them, but it would be awesome to have an Outlaw series and then mess with'em.

Unsafe,they sound scared. :

Comment

I am so down for an outlaw circuit!

I'll steam past those bozos with my big block 305cc 10hp B&S single. Mine will have central brakes on the front and rear on separate pedals just so I can lock the fronts and spin the rears. I will also have a live axle in the rear, as Beags mentioned, "throttle induced oversteer" is where it's at.

Nope mine won't look as nice, but it will be far faster and scarier. Our B&S engine will move ~600lbs of Baja SAE car and driver to almost 50kmh. One of these "cyclekarts" must weigh far less than 400 lbs with driver, so we've got to be able to at least pin 60+kmh (40+mph). Oh my, this is getting better by the minute. ;D

Comment

Get one of the Boss's to start it.

I already went as far last year to buy a Yz100 cart motor.
                        It's tuned to run nitro, 12K rpm,Horstman racing clutch.
                        The machinist claims they'll make 18hp.
                        80's manco 2 seater with 5hp B&S,complete.

The hardest part is getting the knuckles machined and the
                        axles made, They provide a link to a Buggy spring manufacturer somewhere
                        in there.

More than anything what stopped me is that no one around here cared,plus if i was going to
                        spend the money i damn sure didn't want to just sit there.
                        Plus there was no way i was going to make it a Wooden monocoque chassis.

I think us BS'ers would bring shame and dishonor to their country club events.

Comment

Originally posted by CM325
                          I think us BS'ers would bring shame and dishonor to their country club events.
                          With glee.

Brian
                          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

So...Who doesn't have enough projects and wants to do it.
                            I can see it now, do an homage to DF's now defunct yard.

JunkyardKarts

Have just a few regs on it, very few.

Obviously i can get a little more excited about it I already have wasted money
                            on the concept. I'm certain i could make a frame and body.

It's the front axle,steering knuckles,
                            decide on (sprung/unsprung)resolve whatever that brings up, mounting the wheels to said axle,as
                            well as figure out the drive axle and how to mount (motorcycle) wheels to a cart axle.

Source some wheels cheaply.
                            Then organize something like the guys did for the minibike's.
                            Could be a lot of fun.
                            I'm in if we can get enough involved to actually do it.

Comment

I'm thinking a CR125 motor with a 6-speed. They are not that much physically larger than a Briggs.
                              The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Working...
                              X