Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unhinged: What Is It About Driving A Car That Is Older Than You Are That Is Great?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unhinged: What Is It About Driving A Car That Is Older Than You Are That Is Great?

Ever since I yanked the engine out of my Imperial, the average age of the vehicles I have driven is roughly ten years old. That isn’t a bad deal at all…my Chrysler, my wife’s truck, my in-laws’ vehicles, and everything else I’ve wheeled around have heat, air, power everything and more. Most have leather seats. […]

More...

You must be a mere child if you consider that Mustang old. I am 59 and my oldest driver was a 1949 Studebaker Champion 4 door. I loved the 3 on the tree, the floor starter button under the clutch pedal, and the heater under the passenger seat. Also, the tube radio still worked (tuned permanently to a talk radio station). It was rusty, scratched, and smelly - but everywhere I went people waved and gave me thumbs up. When I went to the car wash or gas station guys wanted to look it over and talk about it. When I went to the grocery store or mall, women wanted to sit behind the wheel and tell me how cute it was. And it got better mileage than my new computer controlled, fuel injected Ranger. It was slower than hell, but it was comfy and drove like a soft cushy dream. I used to say I was taking my fat girlfriend out for a drive. I really miss it.
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

32, the Mustang has three years on me. Oldest car I've ever driven is a 1957 Chevrolet 210 wagon that had been thoroughly gone through, the most original older car I've driven is a 1973 Plymouth Satellite sedan with a 318 that was dead-on bone stock, down to the wheel covers.
      Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

times are changing.. like it keeps moving.

I was 10 in 1983, to drive a 56 chevy tow truck, big wheel. 2 speed rear end, dually 283 1 barrel.. synchro nothing.
        Was not even 30 years old then, in the northeast. No body work committed to, and still drivable. The .25 inch real steel welded bed and mechanical winching still had the same oxide as 27 years earlier.

Old is a tin can, because it dies young. Most know my tale of the only foreign car I took on... as wimpy as an 80s mustang, just for a liquid boxer engine.
        Are journalists that are old going extinct? my time scale of old is lost in this blog post.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
        X