Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Race Car of the Week: Ford's Lotus Cortina

Re: Vintage Race Car of the Week: Ford's Lotus Cortina

Once again Brian you have dug down and pulled out a vintage racer that I am totally in love with. I drove a 1275cc Austin-Healey Sprite in the late '60's. Did a little autocross and lots of TSD rallies with it. I thought it was so cool. (Actually I still do.) but that was the time when some really cool and really fast small sedans started cruising around. The Alfa GTA's and GTV's, Mini-Cooper S's (The real ones not the modern BMW ones.), Saab Monte Carlos, BMW 2002's and of course the Loutus Cortina. The neat thing about the Cortina was that it totally looked like a Cortina. But your right foot went down we knew it wasn't. Those were the days when we drove to rallies, autocrosses and the race track. Then after the compititons we drove home. The Cortina's were dominant in the lower TransAm classes. It was fun to go up to VIR in the late '60's and watch them scream around the track.

Thanks Brian for stirring up some very fond memories.

Comment

I'd love to own a GTV. The ones that ran the 2.5 liter Trans Am class back in the day are bitchin'.

I would probably sell a kidney to snag a Lotus Cortina though. I love the styling and basically everything about them.

Brian
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Neat story guys, My favorite car bar none!! The cortina won everything ford entered it in and more, one of the most successful cars of the 60's Globally, and even though seen by many as underpowered 4 bangers, a ton of fun to drive. Still competeitive today in vintage rallying and road racing, and many a corty has copped an engine conversion or too to make a great car even better.

Comment

Whjat next, a Coswort h Vega story? please

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
            I'd love to own a GTV. The ones that ran the 2.5 liter Trans Am class back in the day are bitchin'.
            I've got a '74 GTV 2000, sitting on jackstands in the barn. With several thousand dollars worth of new parts sitting on a set of shelfs. I've got to get back to putting it together.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle
              Originally posted by Jenkins Fan
              Whjat next, a Coswort h Vega story? please
              Kickass. That's a fine idea!
              The title is "Vintage Race Car of the Week"

Wrong category for the Cosworth Vega ;)

(Although I've always wanted one)

Comment

Originally posted by horsewidower
                Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                I've got a '74 GTV 2000, sitting on jackstands in the barn. With several thousand dollars worth of new parts sitting on a set of shelfs. I've got to get back to putting it together.

Bob
                Pictures! (even in it's current project state)

Brian
                That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

There were a few Mk II Lotus Cortinas running in the vintage racing up here at Mosport several years back, when I was out there more often. Sweet little cars that would go like hell!!

cheers
                  Ed N.
                  Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                  07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                  88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

I had a Mini in 67, My eyes were really opened when a Cortina just f***kn flew past me on Muholland one night.
                    I didn't know about the FI and dry sump deal. I bet that was a car to deal with.

Comment

The FI dry sumped ones ran in Gp 5 in the 1966 British Saloon Car champs, one of the team Lotus works cars is shown here: http://jdclassics.co.uk/car/256
                      These things were impressive for 66 and kept up w/ gurney weslake headed lightweight falcon rallye sprints...

Comment

Working...
                      X