Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rough Start: Going Dirt Cheap With A 5.0-Powered 1991 Ford Thunderbird!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough Start: Going Dirt Cheap With A 5.0-Powered 1991 Ford Thunderbird!

Lohnes hates them, but I love ’em. The MN-12 era Ford Thunderbirds and Mercury Cougars are dirt-cheap platforms that have quite a bit going for them: they are roomier than a comparable Mustang, run the same power trains, were usually well-optioned and have great aerodynamics. And, often forgotten, they were NASCAR material back in the […]

More...

other than having to hack a hole in that beautifully aerodynamic hood for any kind of manifold, I've had a thing for them for years. Since we're hacking it up for the manifold anyway, I'd look at Cougars too. Gawd they were ugly - so bad that I like them a lot. Better than the Thunderbird. When they came out, nothing said "I'm semi-successful and in my 30's with kids but refuse to give up my two door" like a Cougar. haha. A guy at work had an XR7 with the SC motor / 5 speed, and it just sent confused signals constantly. Kind of like saying "I'm Responsible (if you don't count the supercharger or manual transmission)" Definitely an Eddie Haskel.

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

There was one I kept seeing when I was living in Prescott: that obnoxious-ass purple color Cougars came in, but with a healthy set of Flowmasters on a V8 and perfectly sized black D-slot wheels (NASCAR wheels) and BFG T/A's. A car like that begs to be driven with zero f*cks given. Find one in black, white or silver...not purple or teal.
      Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

i have a SC XR7. not sure if i am semi successful or not.

MN12 are great.
        Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by nesabo View Post
          i have a SC XR7. not sure if i am semi successful or not.

MN12 are great.
          Well, according to Remy-Z, if it's not teal or purple, you're good. I'd give you extra cajones points for mystic teal or purple myself, but if it runs and you can drive it legally, that's "Successful" in my book.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
          X