Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Mustang Cobra Jet Flies With AOD Trans

Re: New Mustang Cobra Jet Flies With AOD Trans

AODs can be made tough as anvils. I have a fairly mild Lentech in my 'Stang and it's been bulletproof. He's built them to be stronger than a TH400 with all the good internals and has the proof. No surprise to me that they're tougher than a C4.

Dan

Comment

Wow. Not that an AOD would do that, but that's flying on a "400HP" rated motor. How long before NHRA refactors that combo I wonder.

Comment

I would have thought C6 but then agian you can't change the bell housing on them and they never made one for a mod motor, I thought you could not have more forward gears than a car came with and FR500cj's came with a c4 right?

Comment

what would it do with a glide ?

Comment

With a Glide it would slow down as these cars are not yet tire or suspension limited. The two speed transmission option has as much or more to do with artificial limitations than it does with any inherent benefits form rotating mass and internal friction. This is why Pro Stocks run five gears not PG's as keeping the the engine ion its power band is more important Twice than in that class than trying to crutch the launch with low mechanical advantage.

The fascinating aspect of this is that an AO3, or a pumped up AOD is all based on the original FMX internals which in its original form was a completely discredited, cast IRON, trans from the 50"s.

I can personally attest to the endurance of the Lentech AOD as it survived two successive Drag Weeks in my barge hitting 10.50's at 132 in a 4220# car that made the drive two years in a row with the same AOD tranny on motor.

I know its not particularly fast, but the trans can work when built properly just like a 200R4 and it is way more efficient than people think.
            Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

If you guys could see and hear these cars run, you'd know just how much more there is left in these things. We likely won't see the full potential for some time. The preseason numbers we've heard and the reports of how soft the pcm's are tuned at this point hint at some truely killer times coming.

Comment

Notice we were asked to edit our story. Seems that Ford Racing is not all that keen to have anyone know how much they are letting these cars eat....which as Doug intimated, isn't much yet.

Brian
                That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Working...
                X