• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifelong Pontiac Dealers Bracing for Uncertain Future

Re: Lifelong Pontiac Dealers Bracing for Uncertain Future

Cool hood ornament though!

Comment

This article brings it all down to reality. What a sad day. I feel for the hundreds of folks like those in this article. It is rather tragic isn't it?

Comment

The GM spokes person says that Pontiac has been unprofitable for the last few years. Who's fault is that? I'm sure that Bob Arnold could have sold more cars(and hence made Pontiac more money) if the styling had been more uptown instead of rebadged crap. Funny how the guys making all the marketing decisions still get big bucks(after putting out a pig of a car line), and the Bob Arnold's in the trenches get the shaft.

Comment

Wow, I know where both those dealerships are. One of them, Mikan Pontiac -VW, is about 15 miles from me and the other dealership was on the way to my Grandmothers house when I was growing up. My Dad loved Pontiacs and we'd always stop at Arnold Pontiac on Sunday on our way back home just to look at the new cars. Sad time in the life of Pontiac. Of course I felt the same way when Oldsmobile and Plymouth were dropped. I never thought I'd see the day these cars would go by the wayside and Hummers, Escalades and Lincoln pick-up trucks would still me made. Idiot marketing people !

Comment

shocking !!!
            not that pontiac is closing , but that the new york times would write an article with sympathy to car people

the president demanded the closing of pontiac , not general motors

Comment

Originally posted by Nevrdun
              The GM spokes person says that Pontiac has been unprofitable for the last few years. Who's fault is that? I'm sure that Bob Arnold could have sold more cars(and hence made Pontiac more money) if the styling had been more uptown instead of rebadged crap. Funny how the guys making all the marketing decisions still get big bucks(after putting out a pig of a car line), and the Bob Arnold's in the trenches get the shaft.
              I agree. The automotive industry went into the toilet when the manufacturers thought styling and even the colors chosen should be done in focus groups. When you have a committee of hundreds all throwing in their ideas, you end up with a bland, non-descript bore of a vehicle. Hence, the reason they all seem to look alike. Total lack of vision. Total like individuality. Oh, I'm apologize, they all have the company grille design. Gag with me boredom.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

sold quite well with grand am , bonneville and pre 04 grand prixs - trans am was greatly missed
                the gto cost too much
                they were turning around , but the ax fell , you know , by the car guys in the white house

Comment

We should all be driving Pontiacs just for spite.

Comment

I've stated this before - but nobody at GM marketing can think or read. Its a proven fact.

The Brands at GM - Pontiac, Oldsmobile, etc have far more recognition, market presence and value than do any of the cryptic model designations thaey insist on retaining. Up into teh 50s it was a Chevy, a Pontiac, a Buick, a Cadillac with only a model or two of each. There is no reason that it could not be that way again - the Chevy is the small and cheap car, the Pontiac the sporty car, the Buick the near lux, and the Caddy the top shelf. Nothing shares a badge and they are all sold at every GM dealership.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry_R
                      I've stated this before - but nobody at GM marketing can think or read. Its a proven fact.

The Brands at GM - Pontiac, Oldsmobile, etc have far more recognition, market presence and value than do any of the cryptic model designations thaey insist on retaining. Up into teh 50s it was a Chevy, a Pontiac, a Buick, a Cadillac with only a model or two of each. There is no reason that it could not be that way again - the Chevy is the small and cheap car, the Pontiac the sporty car, the Buick the near lux, and the Caddy the top shelf. Nothing shares a badge and they are all sold at every GM dealership.
                      Exactly!

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                        sold quite well with grand am , bonneville and pre 04 grand prixs - trans am was greatly missed
                        the gto cost too much
                        they were turning around , but the ax fell , you know , by the car guys in the white house
                        I realize you hate the current administration, but I do not understand the link to them closing down pontiac (or half the other stuff you blame on them)

GM came begging for money because they were already done. If they cannot manage themselves, guess whose going to do it for them? certainly, this was bound to happen either way. And just think - witht he Government in charge, we're keeping millions of factory workers employed!!! (99% of them in Mexico and Canada, but whose concerned about details, right?)
                        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

There is plenty of blame to go around for the state of the domestic auto industry:

Uncle Sam: Regulations and CAFE standards that mandate you must make a car that is built like a bank vault that gets 35mpg

UAW: Labor monopoly with company killers like the jobs bank and protection of unproductive, unmotivated workers.

GM: Years and years of uninspiring, low quality cars that erode their market share year after year. They helped to kill Pontiac with marketing that spoke to no one.

All of which contribute to a public who won't give good GM cars a chance but have to support a failing GM with their tax dollars.

Comment

Working...
                          X