Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galpin Auto Sports Teams With the US Air Force on Two Wild Cars

Re: Galpin Auto Sports Teams With the US Air Force on Two Wild Cars

Great how many millions of our tax payer dollars went into funding these useless and ugly cars? And we wonder why people hate americans. >

Comment

spending taxpayers money on these useless wastes of $$$ is really going to make me want to join the organization that thought it was a good idea :

Comment

If you think military recruiting is a waste of money than I guess they stopped teaching history in the Maine school system.

I think these cars speak to the target audience a lot more than a top fuel dragster or stock car.

Brian
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
          If you think military recruiting is a waste of money than I guess they stopped teaching history in the Maine school system.
          military recruiting is a great idea. i just dont think this is how it should be done

Comment

So share your thoughts. What do you think is the better way?

Brian

Comment

To start, you and i both know hot rodding and the car culture are nearly dead in today's youth and even with the few that are not all of them are going to see or ever hear of these cars. There are much more efficient ways of exposing kids to the air force. a good one would be showing what the air-force can do, not showing how an out-of-house company in california can customize two cars from companies that are going bankrupt. one thing the air force could do is put there name on "green"/eco-friendly technologies and show how they could improve "our" a.k.a. "young people's" future. In the past the commercials and the recruiting officers always worked i dont know why they would need to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on two cars to recruit people now. Im not trying to be a dink, im just expressing an opinion from their target demographic.

P.S. i feel like a real member of the site now that i have been in a debate/disagreement/whatever you want to call it. ;D

Comment

Good points, BUT....

Motorsports/hot rods/etc have been an integral (and effective) part of military recruiting for ages. Hot Import Nights, one of the event series that those cars are going to be seen at just had a show at New England Dragway. It was the largest event the track has had in 10 years, including the IHRA nationals held there every year. Hot Rodding ain't dead...it's changed.

http://www.hotrod.com/whereitbegan/h...out/index.html

Brian

Comment

Good points, BUT....

Motorsports/hot rods/etc have been an integral (and effective) part of military recruiting for ages. Hot Import Nights, one of the event series that those cars are going to be seen at just had a show at New England Dragway. It was the largest event the track has had in 10 years, including the IHRA nationals held there every year. Hot Rodding ain't dead...it's changed.

http://www.hotrod.com/whereitbegan/h...out/index.html

Brian
                  i remember seeing two mustangs back in the 60's that raced on an aircraft carrier too. i think bill goldberg owns one. do you know what im talking about?

Comment

Al Eckstrand (who is now deceased) drove a blown, fuel burning Boss 429 on the deck of an aircraft carrier during one of the stints he did to help troop morale in Vietnam. He toured with a group of cars and did some performance clinics and demonstrations over there to help out the fighting men.

I think that's what you are remembering.

Brian

Comment

Al Eckstrand (who is now deceased) drove a blown, fuel burning Boss 429 on the deck of an aircraft carrier during one of the stints he did to help troop morale in Vietnam. He toured with a group of cars and did some performance clinics and demonstrations over there to help out the fighting men.

I think that's what you are remembering.

Brian
                      yup. i thought there were two cars though ???

Comment

There may have been two cars, but the "hot" one was the nitro burner.

Brian

Comment

There may have been two cars, but the "hot" one was the nitro burner.

Brian
                          i just looked it up there were 2 and bill goldberg owns the 429-powered one.
                          here are some pictures of them

Comment

Working...
                          X