• Show
Clear All

• The Top 11: Automotive Smells

Re: The Top 11: Automotive Smells

Track glue - when used liberally

Comment

I think I could add a (p)few ;)

How about when draining the oil out of a 40 year old, until now, unopened rearaxle;
      ... or cracking loose the mainbearing bolts in an engine after years of use and abuse;
      ... or the smell of aluminium when sanding the carbon off the tops of a set of used pistons;
      ... or brakecleaner! Hardly ever used to clean brakes by the way;
      ... or the smell of a leaking transmission... ATF!;
      ... or fresh brakefluid, either or not spilled on fresh paint; :D

anymore?
      www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Plenty that could be added to that list, but it IS a Top 11, so we'll roll with it.

#8.......that personifies Speedway Auto Parts here in Indy.

There's tiles on the floor, but it's wood underneath......definitely old-school, and one of my favorite auto-parts stores to go to.

BraKleen is an excellent wrench and socket cleaner BTW...they come out looking brand-new!

(hush on the NERD references, SGM... ;D)

Comment

mmmmmm. Chemdip. I know that smell. Get it on your skin and you'll know it too, for a week minimum. I got a side job rebuilding carbs for extra money for going out and, of course, car parts. Ironically, no girl would go out with a guy who smelled like a victim of a chemical plant explosion no matter how much money I had. :

One of great smell. Old gear oil. Really old gear oil is even better. Nothing better to curl that nose shrubbery than stuff that has been stuck in a differential since Eisenhower was in office.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

The smell of chevy SS vinyl interior

Comment

I'm quite familiar with all listed smells and I say "score - good call" on all.

No ChemDip in CA? Damn Klingons! You wash carbs in CA mineral water?

I would suggest another - A properly tuned drag car running methanol. Not the fat one, just right. No additives required.

One of great smell. Old gear oil. Really old gear oil is even better. Nothing better to curl that nose shrubbery than stuff that has been stuck in a differential since Eisenhower was in office.
              +2

And - real gasoline. Not that crap we buy now, the stuff I used to get for .21 from the Conoco for my go-cart in 1967. I used to set a small Dr. Pepper cap full in my garage, just for ambience. I was...13? And I knew it was good then. Can't think real clear now, but.... ;)

Can't believe we left this out - WD-40! Even my wife likes the smell.

Comment

I've gotten Chemdip in California. But just this morning on the Power Tour we developed a smell in the S10 that is a cross between Chemdip and a rotten banana. Since I haven't eaten in the S10 since we left California, I'm going to have to blame this one on Sharon!

Comment

i like #8....nitro is good too ;D

i own 3 trucks that run on nitromethane. its only 20-30% but im not lying ;D

Comment

I'll tell you a bad smell.How about a Delta 88 with 4 very gassy chubby guys in it on the way home from Carlisle.
                    That car smelled for 2 days.

Comment

Originally posted by antmnte
                      I'll tell you a bad smell.How about a Delta 88 with 4 very gassy chubby guys in it on the way home from Carlisle.
                      That car smelled for 2 days.
                      Just two days? Or, is that how long your nose took to get use to the odor?
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Trick racing fuels
                        I don't know why, but that's a top 11 for me.
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                        X