Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lohnes's Pic of the Week: The Road Racing Malibu

Re: Lohnes's Pic of the Week: The Road Racing Malibu

Judging by the no longer PC "WINSTON CUP SERIES" painted on the wall I'm guessing the pic was taken from '99-01? Anyway, being a huge G-body fan and owning a 2dr. bu, seeing that makes me smile.
    GM G-bodies, because I can't afford a 69 Camaro.

Comment

Yeah somewhere in that time frame 200.

Brian
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

"SCCA racing get unfairly labeled as being high brow and clean handed. "

Hmmm... hard to call that label "unfair," it's probably one of the nicer terms I'd use.

Personally, I like "sanctimonious poseurs" but I hang out at a lot of vintage races where the cars are priceless.
        Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

Showing up at the track with a car that turns out be an unexpected performer is fun in just about any circumstances. ;D

cheers
          Ed N.
          Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
          07 Mustang GT with some stuff
          88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Originally posted by milkovich
            "SCCA racing get unfairly labeled as being high brow and clean handed. "

Hmmm... hard to call that label "unfair," it's probably one of the nicer terms I'd use.

Personally, I like "sanctimonious poseurs" but I hang out at a lot of vintage races where the cars are priceless.
            I spent 4 years running that VW in ITC all over the east coast and the douchebag to cool people ratio is exactly the same as in any other type of racing.

Not to be a jerk but it seems like you don't have at lot of first hand experience with SCCA stuff. The guy who spends half his waking hours wrenching on his Mustang or Camaro racer is hardly clean handed and I never saw a stacker trailer roll into a road course back when I was involved.

A modern super comp dragster with a 600ci big block that needs the oil changed a few times a year is a hell of a lot more "clean handed" than 99% of the stuff at a typical road race.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
              Not to be a jerk but it seems like you don't have at lot of first hand experience with SCCA stuff. The guy who spends half his waking hours wrenching on his Mustang or Camaro racer is hardly clean handed and I never saw a stacker trailer roll into a road course back when I was involved.
              You're right, I don't attend many SCCA events (and if I do it's by accident).

IT and AS are probably the exceptions to the rule. Very cool racing, ingenuity is still alive there. Even spec pi?ata is fun to watch and the guys are hard core.

I guess I'm soured on the whole "road racing" thing because most "road racers" can't appreciate really amazing cars because they only "go straight" or "turn left." Think of your typical PCA douchebag or autoweek writer and that's who I think of when I hear the term "road racing."

Some of my old customers were nuts, they raced prototypes or can-am cars and they were all menches, maybe I need to get into the pits and out of the stands.

Thanks for pointing out my hypocrisy by the way, I'm probably just as close-minded as they are.
              Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

I'm not trying to be a dink, I just have a tender spot for the road racing stuff because I wrote it off the same way you have before I actually got involved with it. Once I got involved, it really openend my eyes. I thought the VW we raced was a joke, I was a drag racing guy who knew nothing about road racing or VWs. I almost cried the last time I got to work on that thing, and when it went out in it's blaze of upside down glory at Lime Rock, it was like losing a friend.

There's lots of thrashing going on in the pits (I still can't call it a paddock) and lots of good people doing it.

Brian

Comment

I agree with you Brian. Road racers get called all sorts of things from people who want nothing to do with them. they work well into, or through the the night to have their cars ready, just like everybody else does. The thing about road racing is that it is very labour intensive. I used to figure about 40hrs in the shop for every hour on track. Figure about 5 hours track time for the average weekend, if you don't break. These guys aren't snobs, they are walking zombies.

When I was into road racing, I saw every budget, from the guys who drove their car to the track with their tools in the trunk & tires strapped to the roof, to the guys with a rolling shop & multiple cars. Most of them were great people, with the odd jerk thrown in just to remind you that you are still in the real world.

Now, about the car. I love seeing cool stuff, everything from budget drag cars to F1. That Malibu is my favorite type of car. One that nobody takes seriously till the green flag flies. And no matter how many high strung 4 & 6 cylinder engines I hear, I still love the sound of a screaming small block or thundering big block.

Comment

Brian: Thanks again for keeping the broad and all encompassing viewpoint.

Our Mustang was built to compete in ITE. Until the idiots in the SFR region outlawed e85. We now run with the National Auto Sports Association.

Love the 'Bu. I really enjoy seeing alternative takes on getting around the track.

To the gentleman that is white washing all road racers cause he hangs with vintage racers, your observations are quite apt for that group of roadracers. Try coming out with those of us that aren't concerned about the pedigrees of our cars or our competitors cars.

Anyone working on their own car, driving their own tow vehicle and making it to the track has my admiration. It takes dedicaton. Regardless of whether its circle track, drag racing, road racing, rallying etc.

Yes, road racing tends to have more than its share of wealthy, arrive and drive type of racers. But it also has a great group of folks wrenching their asses off trying to beat those "assholes."

Comment

Nothing wrong with road racing... As to the clean hand remark... I have yet to see a clean hand on a guy who road races... I have a buddy who competes in the Honda Challenge.

Why?

The cars are cheap AND competitive. He tows his Civic with a Impala cop cruiser.

Most of the diehard racers are grassroots and work on their own cars...

BTW the Malibu is sweet... I just wish I had the time to devote to something like this, as I would have built mine using a Pontiac Lemans, lol...

Comment

Unfortunately there has always been a bit of ill feeling between SOME road racers and SOME go straight racers. That is too bad as performance is the goal of each venue. There are folks in both venues who aren't there own mechanics. There are folks in both venues who wrench what they race. This forum has always appealed to me because it is eclectic. Lots of cool stuff from all automotive venues. Brian, thanks for keeping it that way.

As for the Road Racing Malibu -- I love it! And that from a guy who is not a Chevy guy.

Comment

Working...
                        X