Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barnstormin': Finding Your Spot

Re: Barnstormin': Finding Your Spot

I think I have two spots. The first is the town I grew up in outside Omaha, Papillion NE. The other is at Lake of the Ozarks in central Missouri. I've always felt totally at peace in these places.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

No particular geographical location, but:

1 - a cold clear crisp winter day anywhere in the north woods, bright blue sky overhead, and my snowshoes breaking a new trail in the snow;

2 - a country road on a June evening immediately after the first cutting of hay, and

3 - any War Memorial on 11 Nov (Remembrance Day in Canada), at the 11th minute of the 11th hour, when the bugler sounds the Last Post.
      Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

1) Lowes Motor Speedway, The Auto Fair in spring and fall
        2) Bobs Grill sucking down chilli chesse dogs and RC Colas
        3) Norris Lake,on a breezy day on a pontoon with cold ones

Comment

I have a few spots I like, but only one I can feel good no matter what, and that is in the drivers seat of my car. It doesn't work with any other car but mine. I can have a crappy day at school, but sometimes I break into a dead run to get to my when I see it. It is a safe haven for me to go, free from all the cares except how far she'll go before she breaks. To get in and knock through all four gears in rapid succession (FYI- when you have a 4 speed, don't try for fifth. Doesn't work.), it just takes your mind off anything but the road. It would be better without speed limits though.

Comment

Originally posted by 98ciHemi
            I have a few spots I like, but only one I can feel good no matter what, and that is in the drivers seat of my car. It doesn't work with any other car but mine. I can have a crappy day at school, but sometimes I break into a dead run to get to my when I see it. It is a safe haven for me to go, free from all the cares except how far she'll go before she breaks. To get in and knock through all four gears in rapid succession (FYI- when you have a 4 speed, don't try for fifth. Doesn't work.), it just takes your mind off anything but the road. It would be better without speed limits though.
            Very true.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

My "spots" tend to be relative to thoughts I have while I'm there. The one that sticks out in my mind is a place close to Tarryall, Colorado...it's perfect: Sage fields, a deep, cold creek straight off the Front Range mountains, enough parking spot to fit a GM G-body, a tent, and a fire, and a mesa about 200 ft. up that is steep enough to scare you but slanted enough to safely scramble. That entire area is so beautiful....

But I also consider pretty much everywhere I've been in Iraq. Balad was farmland, Mosul was the "peaceful" side of the city in the airport, and Taji....ok, Taji sucked, but Balad and Mosul are awesome.

The one thing that did stick with me....A few years ago, I was in Phoenix as part of a huge road trip I had financed with my first bit of deployment money. My friend Joe and I were headed back to Gilbert in my '84 shortbox Dodge, and he had one of his rare moments of brilliance:

"Dude, I've never seen you like this. You're always wound-up, always drum-tight. You get behind the wheel, you just relax, and you stay that way."

Ain't that the truth...
              Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

My spot is between the pipes.

I started playing organized ice hockey at about 12 years old as a defenceman, but when I was 16, it was one of those "We-don't-have-a-goalie-signed-up,-so-who-wants-to-try-it?" kind of mpments. My hand shot up immediately and after my first practice I realized, "This is waaaaayyyyyyy better; this is where I belong!"

That was 32 years ago and I bet I've played "out" maybe four or five time since, with the last time being at least 12 or 13 years ago. I still play twice a week in the beer leagues here in Atlanta (played tonight, in fact, and lost 3-2) and hope to continue for many more years.

I was born a goaltender; I just had to try it once to know.

Comment

st pete florida...was on vacation there two winters ago...wife says i was waytoo comfortable...she had never seen me like that....she could tell i really enjoyed it... 8)

we had a great time there.

al
                  "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

Great read....I found alot of similarities in our spots. Mine is Maple Grove Raceway. I have been going there for all of my 39 years. Started with my Dad racing, then I started racing. A few years back I lost an engine, so I gave announcing a shot for a year. I learned alot and gained a whole new perspective on the operation of a drag strip. Even did some articles for the track paper, the 1320 Hotline. Some of the most lasting friendships I have were formed during the countless weekends spent at that track. The Grove is definitely my spot....home.
                    Time Wasters...
                    http://public.fotki.com/JoeGrippo/
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/joe_grippo/sets/
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/JoeGrippo?feature=mhum

Comment

Yosemite, Half Dome.
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                      X