No announcement yet.

Car Feature: 10-second, Pump Gas, Big-Block Chevy Powered 1970 Buick Skylark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Feature: 10-second, Pump Gas, Big-Block Chevy Powered 1970 Buick Skylark

Re: Car Feature: 10-second, Pump Gas, Big-Block Chevy Powered 1970 Buick Skylark

BIG WOOD ;D

the essence of a true street machine in my mind...just the way i like 'em....
    "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

Re: Car Feature: 10-second, Pump Gas, Big-Block Chevy Powered 1970 Buick Skylark

X2 ;).Like it alot.doesnt need to have corner abilities,when it runs that good.

Comment

Like Solomon said "there is no new thing under the sun". I was talking to my dad today about bringing up a bare block 454 I own so that I could build a stroked BBC for my Bu.... the difference between his car and mine.. it's orange... oh yeah, and his runs >
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

That is a cool car.

10's on the motor isn't as hard as it was 20 years ago. My former boss' wife owned a 69 Camaro that was all steel. She routinely ran 10.30's at 125 mph with a 91 octane daily driven, and I do mean everyday it didn't rain, with a 468 built with off the shelf parts. Her husband Doug May built the motor which was a vintage LS7 block, .030 over, 10.4:1 Wiseco pistons, Brodix 345 heads, Comp solid roller with .660 lift, Dart intake, 1050 Dominator, and MSD ignition. Behind it was an B&M 400 with a 3500 stall, and the factory 12 bolt with 3.73 gears. Michelle never put the car on a trailer, Doug would never allow it. She never lifted either. That's how she grenaded the 427 the car came with on the second trip to the track.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Looks like a great car for BB/NA at Dragweek!

Comment

this makes me happy ;D

Comment

Originally posted by ksj1
                Looks like a great car for BB/NA at Dragweek!
                I've been trying to convince Tom of that for years!

Brian
                That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I love me some little stroker BBCs!
                  my little 10.5 to 1 489 ci BBC put my 3800 lb pig into the 10s back in 2005. (4.280x4.250) . I love this combo , and with the overdrive I would see 17 + mpg on trips to Columbus, Oh

that is a great looking ride, but I surprised that nobody is ragging about the BBC in it. I hear about it all the time and frankly I dont care anymore.

How abouza some more details , ( like the cam specs ;D), and what is the 60 ft , and what is done susp wise?
                  doug

and as a side note: damn drag week is why i pulled my pig apart. a wise man wouldve just took it "as is "and ran it as it was fast enuff to win if it survived.
                  Reading , Pa
                  Good Guys rodders rep.
                  "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                  Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Originally posted by ls7gto
                    I love me some little stroker BBCs!
                    my little 10.5 to 1 489 ci BBC put my 3800 lb pig into the 10s back in 2005. (4.280x4.250) . I love this combo , and with the overdrive I would see 17 + mpg on trips to Columbus, Oh

that is a great looking ride, but I surprised that nobody is ragging about the BBC in it. I hear about it all the time and frankly I dont care anymore.

How abouza some more details , ( like the cam specs ;D), and what is the 60 ft , and what is done susp wise?
                    doug

and as a side note: damn drag week is why i pulled my pig apart. a wise man wouldve just took it "as is "and ran it as it was fast enuff to win if it survived.

Doug, have you looked at the gallery? The details on the motor and stuff are in captions with the pictures. We're telling the "story" through all the photos and captions. The initial item is just a primer.

I LOVE this car.

Brian

Comment

first, that is one nice Buick !

thanks Brian, I didn't read that before. man that is scary similar to my ride. He has a better heads than I do, mine are somewhat smallish. and he can run a little more tire. same rear suspension( hr parts n stuff bar ROCKS) and eve the same brakes. I used a Dana 60 , to give the mopar guys some love.
                      how similar.... we rum the same MPH, but his 10.09 trumps my 10.61 . damn I miss my car! :'(

ps it should be going back to the Body shop Next month ;D.

and did I mention , that is one nice Buick !

Reading , Pa
                      Good Guys rodders rep.
                      "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                      Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

that is a great car, i saw it run in fast street at the end of last year and man, that guy can drive!

Comment

I would love to talk to this guy about the swap..as I have a 1970 buick skylark ( stock 350 motor runs great),I have a 454 bored 60 over,flat top pistons,Edelbrock alluminum performer heads, stainless valves,aluminum roller rockers,double valve springs,mild-crazy cam,timing gears instead of chain,Moroso deep sump oil pan,high output oil pump, and I am wondering as to what problems he ran into with the bb swap? Any info on how to contact this gentleman would be great..and yes I know I have a Buick and I should stick with Buick power but honestly I don't care I'm building this for the strip/street and that's about it..If I could have found a chevelle or a olds I would have done the same so don't preach to me! ITS A GM PRODUCT!!
                          Thanks all in advance!!
                          Jeff

Comment

Shoot an e-mail to Jay, his brother @

[email protected]

Tell him Brian from BangShift sent ya!

Comment

Originally posted by ls7gto

OK I'll rag a little-now it is just another Chevelle. There, got that off my chest. : Seriously, though if you want a fast Buick on a budget this is the way to go. The POS tissue paper thin cylinder blocks of the Buick 455 is why I got out of them altogether. Any time you put a high lift cam with heavy springs in one, the lifter vallley falls apart unless you fill it with epoxy or buy a weird brace fron TA. Add in the oil system straight out of the 1930s and it is a full time job keeping one of them alive, ifyou want to run faster than 12s regularly. Since I couldn't live with a Chevy under the hood after 30 years of Buick worship, I just switched to the Fairlane. The difference in the blocks between the Buick and the FE is just the beginning, and If I build a 385 series (460) it just gets beefier and easier.
                              67 Fairlane 434 ci/464 hp/488 tq-RIP
                              05 GTO torrid red/red gut, LS2, Auto (my knees hurt!)

Comment

Working...
                              X