Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: \

Originally posted by 427
    Jesse wanted to go faster than the BMW car that was also powered by an internal combustion engine, he did, watch the show. It was a ton of fun, what racing should be........

Kurt
    Too bad they couldn't line up an FIA event around the whole thing - a legit FIA record would be awesome on your resume!
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Here's a different press release. http://www.wired.com/autopia/2009/06/jesse-james/

Jesse is in my club, the LSR. I was one of the people who voted him in. We knew he was going to run during the week as to not upset our regular event with his TV crew etc. over our race weekend.

He did not set any record, pure and simple. He did however go faster than the BMW under different conditions. Is that fair? Racing is all about compairing apples to apples, if that wasn't the case then current top fuel et records are faster than those of 2 years ago. It's not the same to run a car in any manner of timing you choose. There are already standards setup for that i.e. 1/4 mile vs. 1000 feet or timed average mile vs. 132 feet at the end of a mile. Apples and oranges IMO.

There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

I think if your gonna go to the trouble of runnin' that fast...you would have set it up to set a record....I mean thats allot of investment cash for just a cable tv episode.....seems fishy.... somehow... Who the hell has an unfinished LSR car layin' around?

maybe it was a test run for the real thing...a test 'n tune, that went really well.

Seems like there should be more details to this story somehow, some way, someday....eh?
        Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

I don't get the big deal.
          Sure LL has a point but I don't think that is the point the show is trying to make.

I have watched every episode of that show so far and it's great...for what it is.
          It's a stunt show.

Sounds to me like they set in motion to pull off a stunt and did it.
          Did he run the number?
          Yes or no?
          Yes..but...
          But nothing, he did it.

Who cares if it makes some hallowed record book or not.
          Goal accomplished, film shot, see you on whatever Sunday night at 10 and enjoy the accomplishment for what is was...
          A stunt.

Comment

The best part is you can run it inside the shop for an hour or so and still breath!
            I believe the car would run much faster on a longer course, but it was done at El Mirage because of the location (about a two hour ride from the shop) and ability for timing equipment to be available. Jesse did a great job driving the car, and the "bike builders" did a good job overcoming the problems the "dirt" caused. Mike Cook and crew did some taping and cutting/bending to help the project work. I was calling Turk and asked Chad for help with a fresh set of eyes as I had not slept much by the time Chad arrived. Thanks to all that helped, I know Jesse was happy with running faster than the BMW, although he wanted a "200" time slip and on that we fell short........

Kurt

Comment

I think it's all good !

High profile exposure can not be bad for Land Speed Racing !

Just having an going that fast out of the box with an alternative fuel car is just cool as hell !

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts
                Land Speed Louise is correct JJ did not set an official record. I wonder why he didn't go just a little bit further and actually run the thing in a more legitimate manner with a reconized organization to back up the record. The attempt seems rather half-assed to me. Lots more pr. But then I guess it was cheaper and easier to do it the way he did hoping that the viewers would never find out the "record" really wasn't a record at all.

No, I don't care for Jessie James. All about $$$ and PR. That's it.
                Yea, I know I am quoting myself, but after some thought and discussion I think that my earlier post seen here is way too strong. You know, Jessie and all the folks that made his run possible did achieve something pretty cool. Yes, it was not a "certified" SCTA or FIA "record," but it was still the fastest such run made. Leave it at that. It was an quite an accomplishment no matter what I think of Jessie James.

Comment

This all sounds like a lot of blah, blah blah about something that doesn't really matter.

If the record isn't a record, so what? It brought attention to a sport that could definitely use it.

If JJ wants to set a "real" record, there are a few places they can take the car to do that.

No big deal right?
                  I R Bob
                  You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                  2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

How do you post a picture on this sight? When I try and use the attachment feature it says "cannot access path", or something like that!

Kurt

Comment

Originally posted by 427
                      How do you post a picture on this sight? When I try and use the attachment feature it says "cannot access path", or something like that!

Kurt
                      This should help.

I R Bob
                      You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                      2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Technically, Louise is right. She's also missing the point that it's just a tv show, and that tv shows pitch themselves with hyperbole.

Meanwhile, I'm more surprised to see JJ riding the greenie bandwagon. IMO there's zero future in hydrogen for piston engines.

Comment

The producing of hydrogen and building enough fuel stations makes it seem unlikely at best, but it was cool to run a V8 indoors and still breathe without issue. I ran a 404 inch LS for some initial testing to learn about the fuel myself, it produced 570hp on unleaded premium. When I switched it over to hydrogen it produced 230hp NA. With a turbo I got 540hp with some work..........

Kurt

Comment

If I remember correctly Gregory - scuse me "Jesse" James has had this LSR car for some time in the back of his shop, I remember seeing what I think is the same car a number years ago that had some significant history to it from what I was told by a employee of WCC at the time. I say leave the cameras at home and take the car to bonneville to shut up the nay sayers and set the record and go for that 200 mark.... THATS WHAT BOBBY JAMES WOULD OF DONE
                            Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Working...
                            X