Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video of the Week: In-Car Camera of an Evil Rollover at Willow Springs

Re: Video of the Week: In-Car Camera of an Evil Rollover at Willow Springs

Late shift oversteer, and not knowing when to hit the brake and clutch when it started to come around didn't help either.

Is it me or is the intersection of the roll bar elements, Main hoop to diagonal brace I think, you see close up after the crash not fully welded?
    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Bill, when I watched this I was thinking the same thing.

Brian
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I'm thinking the guy must have gotten his bell rung pretty good. I think if I were him and I could think straight, I would have been out of that car a little sooner. Of course that means I would have to be able to think straight to start with ;).

Comment

Pretty typical mistake to make at Big Willow, with worse than usual consequences. He turned in early for the final turn heading onto the pit straight, missed the apex, then ran out of track at the exit and got into the dirt. At that point he's just along for the ride, and unfortunately, he must have dug a wheel into the soft dirt, which put him on the roof.

Comment

Nope, that roll bar isn't welded - looks like one of those x-ray tacks (another that guy story - told me that you had to leave gaps in the welds so the x-ray could get into the tube).... I like how he tried to get underway - it's just a scratch.... a mere flesh wound ;D ;D
            love the hall of shame photos at the end there..
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Guys will often try to steer too quickly out of the soft dirt as well ... a sure fire way to put it shiny side down.

I shouldn't have watched this today, I have to instruct at the Solo I school on the big track at Mosport this Saturday. :o

cheers
              Ed N.
              Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
              07 Mustang GT with some stuff
              88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

It would be a good, "don't do this" instructional video though. Kinda like my in car video from Laguna Seca in March.
                Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

So that's why road race kill switches are inside the car and not on the back.

Comment

You're looking at his roll cage padding. Not the actual rollcage tubing.

Series of mistakes, ending with the worst, trying to yank it back on track instead of acknowleging that he was going off, slowing it down in a straight line and then bringing it back on.

At least that's my take on the video, might have been different from the driver's seat.

Comment

I can't tell for sure how he rolled, but that ass end is flattened. Wish I had out-of-car footage on that... :o
                      Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Aside from being amazed that he actually tried to re-start the engine, is the fact that it actually started !!

Comment

Working...
                        X