Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Came From the Fab Shop: All Hail the Old RV

Re: It Came From the Fab Shop: All Hail the Old RV

I remember walking through RV after RV as a kid at the local and state fairs, it was almost mean how our parents kept teasing us like that. We never did get one, heard lots of "maybe someday" though.

Some people look at that picture and see a wreck of a camper.

I see a lightweight sandrail trailer which can be had for free. Heck, someone may even pay you to take it away....

The only thing that can compete with the construction quality standards of a camper/RV is a boat. Or perhaps a conversion van. Think the campers still take the prize though.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Enough said? :P

It's no RV, but it's OLD! This weekend or starting Monday I'm cutting the floor out of it and putting a new one in, updates as it starts ;)
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Sorry, you all lost me on this one. I don't fish, hunt or camp, just not my thing. Kinda strange that my wife grew up camping and is actually going camping with her parents this weekend. She'd much rather be in a pop-up than a 30ft 5th wheel camper, and I'd rather be at a Hotel. Again I have nothing against RV'ing, just no interest. Have fun restoring the relics.

I DO agree on the transmission in the mud though!

GM G-bodies, because I can't afford a 69 Camaro.

Comment

The only thing I know about old RVs is that they are nearly impossible to pull a motor out of at the Pick Your Part. You have really got to be a tenacious SOB to get that 440!

Comment

Originally posted by King Matt
            The only thing I know about old RVs is that they are nearly impossible to pull a motor out of at the Pick Your Part. You have really got to be a tenacious SOB to get that 440!
            Yeah, and even more tenacious to pull the 440 only to have to discard the HD water pump, RV cylinder heads and heavy-ass 6-pak style connecting rods and goofy pistons when you finally get that beeotch out of the motorhome.

Ron
            It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Nice piece of writing on the camper ,the man has a passion!
              I work in the RV ,MFG,Utility trailer industry and those items left to be discarded on the side of the road or backyards always catch my eye, and most certainly the older ones from the 50's - 70's ,they just have real style. Who wouldnt want to have a vintage Airstream rather than a mega dollar bus ?
              God Speed Loren, fix that junk.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick

It's no RV, but it's OLD! This weekend or starting Monday I'm cutting the floor out of it and putting a new one in, updates as it starts ;)
                Don't forget to take care taking out the shag. You gotta reuse it.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver

The shag has been long gone now ;D Thank god, though it was greener than my lawn..... :P

Comment

dang, you'll make me feel guilty about my Travco...just sitting here rotting....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

The wifes and my 53 pontiac housecar and the wifes 61 scad a bout that we are fixing up to tow behind her 52 chevy deluxe.

Comment

Originally posted by soulshaker1962
                        The wifes and my 53 pontiac housecar and the wifes 61 scad a bout that we are fixing up to tow behind her 52 chevy deluxe.

Very cool. ;)
                        I R Bob
                        You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                        2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

The shag has been long gone now ;D Thank god, though it was greener than my lawn..... :P
                          According to satellite images, he already reused it. I noticed a recurrent 6x10 bald spot on the lawn has recently disappeared...... well, disappeared is the wrong word, since it is now a greener shade than the rest of the lawn.....

;D
                          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY

According to satellite images, he already reused it. I noticed a recurrent 6x10 bald spot on the lawn has recently disappeared...... well, disappeared is the wrong word, since it is now a greener shade than the rest of the lawn.....

;D
                            Now that is comical! As I do have a patch of yard that doesn't seem to want to grow anything that the shag would have covered perfectly, haha.

Comment

I've been bitten by the old trailer bug. That is a '62 Scotty taking up space I don't have in the driveway and already starting to suck down cash I don't have to get it usable. Fortunately the girlfriend is just as enthusiastic about the project as I am (hell she came along on the 8-hour roundtrip rain soaked nighttime trip to pick it up.

Comment

Working...
                              X