Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Excuse to Go Home Early and Drink: Lutz Says Caprice is a No Go; We Say All Hope is Lost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday Excuse to Go Home Early and Drink: Lutz Says Caprice is a No Go; We Say All Hope is Lost

Re: Friday Excuse to Go Home Early and Drink: Lutz Says Caprice is a No Go; We Say All Hope is Lost

And in grand GM fashion, he takes the sledgehammer straight to his balls. WTF is he thinking? We were drooling over those cars when we all were in Kuwait...and I drove a '02 Caprice, I would've killed to find a way to import it.

*dusts off bugle, ready to play 'Taps'*
    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Re: Friday Excuse to Go Home Early and Drink: Lutz Says Caprice is a No Go; We Say All Hope is Lost

:P

Comment

I knew it sounded to good to be true. I wonder if GM's new prez. Obama put a stop to it? >
        It's not the destination, but the journey and the friends you make along the way that counts.

Comment

Bummer.
          I R Bob
          You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
          2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

IMHO - this isn't about Lutz, this is the work of Fritz Henderson who is demonstrating his inability to understand how to make $$ in the car business

As a GM shareholder (a.k.a. taxpayer) I am really disgusted as I will likely be funding this organization for a long time since they are not likely to make enough cars that folks want and earn a profit and hence maintain a sustainable business model :-\
            a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

And a bunch of those FoMoCo execs who approved the Taurus SHO (Slow, Heavy, Overpriced) are now breathing again . . . .

(Of course they probably never really expected that "Government Motors" would offer something as audacious as the RWD V8 G8/Caprice.

So much for "change."

By the way, I always thought "stepping on your junk" was climbing over that rusty parts car that's always in the way out in the shop.

Comment

The execs at Ford were probably laughing their asses off when Putz announced the Caprice. Yeah. Obama's going to let them build that!

Comment

Is the corvette Z06 dead also? If the mean green's dont like the G8...damn, what do they think about a vette? Lutz luvs hotrods. period. no two ways about it. Somebody told him to do this.......

I wonder what they would think of MY car....... ??? :o

i'm worried folks.
                  Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Lutz loves a lot of things, WWII planes, Hot Rods, etc...but more and more I am feeling that a 77 year old man who has obviously been reduced to being a paper tiger is going to do more harm then good.

Brian
                    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

since pretty much NONE of the cars here anyone "thinks" is the "right car to build" are cars that will make any money for GM - why would anyone be surprised to see them get canned?

It's pretty much a given anything GM wants to do, is the wrong move. How this means "Obama Sucks" is beyond me, but it seems pretty obvious that since GM couldn't manage themselves - someone stupider is now going to do it for them.
                      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

One sure way to gauge the opinion of the public is to step on your junk in front of them and see if they kick your ass off of it. I think Ford tried this with the Mustang and the Probe a few years (decades) back and after having their ass set royally on fire decided to listen to their customers. Could be Lutz is checking for acceptance.

Cheap marketing survey? Will they stop building Aussie v8 rwd cars because of this?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                          ...but more and more I am feeling that a 77 year old man who has obviously been reduced to being a paper tiger is going to do more harm then good.
                          No way, Dude!

As Peter "Autoextemeist" DeLorenzo said "[Lutz] is one of the most contemporary people I know, and you had best put that whole 'age' thing aside, because if you have the occasion to spend any time with Bob at all you quickly realize that he is on point all the time and nothing fazes him or gets past him."

And I (Speedzzter) still say "he?ll probably make even the most pedestrian electric-vacuum-cleaner microcar sound like the Second Coming."

"While those of us GM skeptics deep-down want to believe that nothing can rescue GM?s hapless 'Roger Smithian' image, we know that if anyone can do it, 'Maximum Bob' can."

Look at it this way, would gearheads and serious automobilists rather have somebody like Bob Kraut or Lynn Myers (http://www.bentleypublishers.com/pon...ry-3307-8.html) running the New GM's marketing ops instead of 77-year-old "paper tiger" Lutz? At least Lutz knows which end ought to be propelling the car (which is more that guys like Ron Zarella and John Smale did).

By the way, not all of us accept the proposition that the cars "Bangshifters" want built won't make any money for the factory. A fair number of car buyers "want it all" (e.g. luxury, no-hassle "transparent" performance, fuel economy, high residual value, quality, style, bulletproof reliability). If an OEM can provide an optimum balance of that at a proper price point, there is still plenty of money to be made out there.

(Interestingly enough, some of the boring FWD "appliances" that we dog have more objective high performance than some of the '60s muscle cars we venerate. That's a function of the continuing demand for seamless, "transparent" performance and the march of automotive technology)

Not every future vehicle that's a hit will be a Prius clone or a plug-in electric-phone-booth-mobile. Some "car guys" like Lutz still understand how to navigate the turbulent skies of regulations, economics, and environmentalism to cook up exciting vehicles that can be profitable (i.e. (and I hate to admit it) the New Camaro).

Comment

We have had the G8 for a little over a week now and 3 people told me they didnt even know it existed. Nice marketing GM. 1 guy though it was a BMW. Im really likin' it though. They are nuts not to keep building it.

Comment

they could always make it pc with 2 mode hybrid setup

Comment

Working...
                              X