Breaking News and Video: F1 Driver Struck in Head by Spring; Wrecks Hard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking News and Video: F1 Driver Struck in Head by Spring; Wrecks Hard

Re: Breaking News and Video: F1 Driver Struck in Head by Spring; Wrecks Hard

Over last weekend there was a 19 year old driver killed by a flying tire from another car that wrecked. The firewall here at work won't let me find the article. :-\
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

The tire killed former Formula One Champion John Surtees son.

Brian
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
        The tire killed former Formula One Champion John Surtees son.

Brian
        That's the one.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Here's a shot of Massa afterwards.

Carbon fiber helmets are awesome. He's a lucky man at this point. He is going to require surgery. It still caused a fracture of his skull.

Comment

I don't think he ever passed out in the car. Look at the video closely, and he is slowing down immediately following the thing hitting his head. He locks the wheels up once he hits the grass, and then continues back across the track and into the sand and wall. He's trying to stop. Good job on his part. Can you imagine getting smacked like that and still working the wheel?
            "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

I hope he lives through it all. The fact that they have untethered springs on the cars is just downright negligent.

Comment

I just heard about it. tragic accident.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

What a horrible incident, Hospital officials say Formula One driver Felipe Massa is in "life-threatening" condition after surgery for a fractured skull from a high-speed crash at Hungarian Grand Prix qualifying.

Officials at the AEK military hospital said Saturday that Massa will be kept sedated on a respirator in an intensive care unit.

Medical director Peter Bazso said at a news conference that "Massa's condition is serious, life-threatening but stable."

Click here for very explicit photo of Massa's injury http://www.speedtv.com/forums/viewthread/462386/

Comment

Watched that on Speed today. Crazy things going on this weekend in Hungary. From watching the video it looked like he wasn't in control of the car all the way into the wall after the spring hit him. He managed to get on the brakes though. I'm sure he will pull through, as long as there isn't too much swelling of the brain. He was surprisingly alert when they took him to the helicopter.
                    1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
                    1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

Imagine if the spring had have hit only the visor. It would have entered and possibly killed him.
                      To say "he's lucky" is silly because he got hit. But it's good he's not that unlucky to have much more serious injuries.

Comment

Originally posted by horsewidower
                        The fact that they have untethered springs on the cars is just downright negligent.
                        The pentultimate form of motorsport, and they don't employ spring tethers?

Guess I have to(grudgingly) give NASCAR credit in that area.

That's one hell of an injury, but still amazing that Massa was able to remain somewhat coherent.

Comment

I thought F1 ran inboard coilovers?
                          How did the spring get out?

Comment

Working...
                          X