Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aircooled
    replied
    Re: Breaking News and Video: F1 Driver Struck in Head by Spring; Wrecks Hard

I thought F1 ran inboard coilovers?
    How did the spring get out?

Leave a comment:

• tiresmoke!
    replied

Originally posted by horsewidower
    The fact that they have untethered springs on the cars is just downright negligent.
    The pentultimate form of motorsport, and they don't employ spring tethers?

Guess I have to(grudgingly) give NASCAR credit in that area.

That's one hell of an injury, but still amazing that Massa was able to remain somewhat coherent.

Leave a comment:

• BlackoutSteve
    replied

Imagine if the spring had have hit only the visor. It would have entered and possibly killed him.
    To say "he's lucky" is silly because he got hit. But it's good he's not that unlucky to have much more serious injuries.

Leave a comment:

• 1970camaroRS
    replied

Watched that on Speed today. Crazy things going on this weekend in Hungary. From watching the video it looked like he wasn't in control of the car all the way into the wall after the spring hit him. He managed to get on the brakes though. I'm sure he will pull through, as long as there isn't too much swelling of the brain. He was surprisingly alert when they took him to the helicopter.

Leave a comment:

• Podium Finish
    replied

What a horrible incident, Hospital officials say Formula One driver Felipe Massa is in "life-threatening" condition after surgery for a fractured skull from a high-speed crash at Hungarian Grand Prix qualifying.

Officials at the AEK military hospital said Saturday that Massa will be kept sedated on a respirator in an intensive care unit.

Medical director Peter Bazso said at a news conference that "Massa's condition is serious, life-threatening but stable."

Click here for very explicit photo of Massa's injury http://www.speedtv.com/forums/viewthread/462386/

Leave a comment:

• Scott Liggett
    replied

I just heard about it. tragic accident.

Leave a comment:

• horsewidower
    replied

I hope he lives through it all. The fact that they have untethered springs on the cars is just downright negligent.

Leave a comment:

• BangShiftChad
    replied

I don't think he ever passed out in the car. Look at the video closely, and he is slowing down immediately following the thing hitting his head. He locks the wheels up once he hits the grass, and then continues back across the track and into the sand and wall. He's trying to stop. Good job on his part. Can you imagine getting smacked like that and still working the wheel?

Leave a comment:

• nite_eagle
    replied

Here's a shot of Massa afterwards.

Carbon fiber helmets are awesome. He's a lucky man at this point. He is going to require surgery. It still caused a fracture of his skull.

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
    The tire killed former Formula One Champion John Surtees son.

Brian
    That's the one.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Lohnes
    replied

The tire killed former Formula One Champion John Surtees son.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied

Over last weekend there was a 19 year old driver killed by a flying tire from another car that wrecked. The firewall here at work won't let me find the article. :-\

Leave a comment:

• Breaking News and Video: F1 Driver Struck in Head by Spring; Wrecks Hard

Working...
X