Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bring Your Checkbook: World Champion 1965 Shelby Daytona to Hit the Auction Block Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bring Your Checkbook: World Champion 1965 Shelby Daytona to Hit the Auction Block Again

Re: Bring Your Checkbook: World Champion 1965 Shelby Daytona to Hit the Auction Block Again

Over a million ??

Comment

Re: Bring Your Checkbook: World Champion 1965 Shelby Daytona to Hit the Auction Block Again

The last unrestored Cobra Daytona sold for something like 3 million probably 10 years ago. The car definitely needed restoration too. It wasn't what you'd call a survivor.

I think this one will top 8.5 in todays market, and probably would have brought more 2 years ago.

Here's the story on the last one.

Comment

Outta my price range...
        Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

there was one of the ken miles shelby daytona coupes in motor classics showroom in north white plains,ny , this was back in high school - 1981 - the price was 85g

Comment

Compared to the "EPA Superbird" this is a bargain!

Comment

There were 6 Daytona coupes built. # 2601 being the one that won the World Championship in 1965 (still the only americans to do so). I replica we built to run at ventage races and GoodWood sold for over $5 million. This car will see more I'm sure. I did get to sit in it at one time.

Here are some shot of the replica we built off a true CSX cobra chassis like the originals were.

The cars were not worth much after the season as racing always moves forward. Here is one car being used in a different way.

Can you tell me what the were doing? Why they were doing it? And who they were?

There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

They were in the process of beating a Daytona to death.

Craig Breedlove (and I think at least one other guy) drove the car to like 20 speed records. I think they were lapping a 10 mile oval.

Mike, the stories I have read and heard was that at the time these cars were built none of the guys in the Shelby shop wanted anything to do with them. Any insight on that?

Brian
                That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                  They were in the process of beating a Daytona to death.

Craig Breedlove (and I think at least one other guy) drove the car to like 20 speed records. I think they were lapping a 10 mile oval.

Mike, the stories I have read and heard was that at the time these cars were built none of the guys in the Shelby shop wanted anything to do with them. Any insight on that?

Brian
                  Brian, the last statment is very true. They were just old used up race cars, not worth a nickle. Remember Phil Spector bought one and drove it on the street for years.

As for the one running on the salt; thats a good story. Breedlove was having sonic 1 reworked after the body started to colapse. This would have required him to give over the salt to his rivel Art Arfons. But the real issue was that Breedlove was on Goodyears and Arfons was on Firestones. So for Breedlove to keep the track time he had to use it. Goodyear calls Shelby, Shelby send a woreout old car and Breedlove, Bob Tatroe, and a Shelby crewman Tom Greatorex use it up.
                  They set 23 USAC/FIAworld records and also averaged 150 mph for 12 hours.
                  There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

Mike,

Although not "real" by any means, driving the Factory Five Coupe below was a personal highlight. It had a mild small block in it and sidepipes that made all trhe correct noises. That shape.....ohhhhhh that shape.

(Joe Roberts Photo)

(Rob Kinnan Photo)

Comment

I love stories like this ;).Especially about cars that wherent worth a nickel sometime,and now are priceless.

Comment

They are indeed cool cars, they did their deed.

$7M???

Comment

Originally posted by vt junk
                          The last unrestored Cobra Daytona sold for something like 3 million probably 10 years ago. The car definitely needed restoration too. It wasn't what you'd call a survivor.

I think this one will top 8.5 in todays market, and probably would have brought more 2 years ago.

Here's the story on the last one.

Here's the origanal story on this car. It's a good read.

Comment

bill cosby had it first , it scared him too much , then he sold it to phil

Comment

Cosby had a blown roadster, not a Daytona.

The guy he sold it to drove it off a cliff.

Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X