Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barnstormin': Rooting for Mayfield or Against NASCAR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Barnstormin': Rooting for Mayfield or Against NASCAR?

Speed, my personal hero is EJ Potter. Not sure if you know of or about him, but if not google him up. A great empirical thinker and a truly neat guy.

Potter came up with an idea for what he saw as the perfect form of automotive competition a few years ago and it was published here. It's a neat read. Potter saw this form of competition as being immune from the corruption of purpose (hell I'm starting to sound like you) that big money brings to racing.

This is one of my favorite things to read every now and again. EJ's a very neat guy and I've had the pleasure of talking t to him several times.

Check it out...

Part 1 -- http://www.draglist.com/artman/publi...cle_1030.shtml
    Part 2 -- http://www.draglist.com/artman/publi...cle_1031.shtml

Brian
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

that ain't racing - IT'S QUALIFYING

Comment

Brian, as much as I hate to admit it your thoughts on the right track about the Mayfield vs. NASCAR deal. This is truly a no win situation. I think there is something very suspicious about the whole thing. NASCAR does not seem to be on the up-and-up about this whole issue. At the same time Mayfield's claims have a hollow ring to them. What is the truth? We will never know.

Will NASCAR fold? No matter how this thing is resolved I doubt NASCAR will disappear as a result of it.

Can NASCAR return to the "good old days?" Of course not, and for many of the reason you so eloquently stated. I think folks that long for the "good old days" are really looking for a little honesty, integrity and straightforwardness that NASCAR seems to lack. It is true that NASCAR has been ruled by the France family with a fairly iron fist since the beginning. But the public is more sophisticated now, more aware of what is going on and for that reason they are aware of what the perceive as elitist. I really wish the NASCAR leadership would listen to what's going on from the fans and competitors alike.

The one thing I think that irritates me most about NASCAR is that even if they cannot go back to the good old days, they seem to be insistant on forgetting them, even to the point of rewriting history at times.

As you said NASCAR is the most popular automobile racing organization there is, or probably ever was. But I am not sure they are on as solid ground as that statement might indicate. We can blame the decline in attendance at the tracks on the economy, but it doesn't stop folks from switching the channel and not watching the races on TV. This to me is one of the biggest indicators that NASCAR may need to watch out. The decline may be small but still, in my opinion, it is an indicator that not all is roses for NASCAR.

Comment

NASCAR is the one who brought this to the court of public opinion, to bad for them. They turn everything they touch into a show, now they have become rich carnies. But the unforgivable act that they, IMO, committed is conformity. Conformity is deadly and dangerous...I hate it! Conformity is for the weak, the sheepeople.

You know what I want to see, BIG BALLS! I want to see NASCAR run 248 at Daytona and the IRL 310 at Indy.

Comment

Originally posted by Thackdaddy
            You know what I want to see, BIG BALLS! I want to see NASCAR run 248 at Daytona and the IRL 310 at Indy.
            Hell, I'd settle for 150mph in a production car with a cage.....
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
              Originally posted by Thackdaddy
              Hell, I'd settle for 150mph in a production car with a cage.....
              (on dirt)

Comment

Gary Balough

He will spend more time in prison than he spent in the Busch Series.

Balough, who competed in Busch in 1982 and '90, is serving a 30-year sentence in a Tallahassee, Fla., prison after being found guilty in a $300 million marijuana and cocaine smuggling operation.

Balough was one of five drivers indicted in the case. Assistant U.S. Attorney Bruce Kritzer said in at least one instance a racecar was filled with smuggled marijuana, loaded aboard a trailer and towed across a state line.

The ring reportedly smuggled at least one million pounds of marijuana into the country each year after beginning its operation in 1976.

Balough's fourth-place finish in the inaugural Busch race was his only appearance in the series that year. He raced three times in 1990 with no top-10s.

Comment

There was a lot of stuff said on this thread that didn't answer the question. NASCAR or Mayfield? I'm sticking with NASCAR. There a lot of ways they could get rid f s driver. Why would they do this?

I always wondered how he even got a ride in the first place
                  Cognizant Dissident

Comment

back in 92 - he just appeared

Comment

NASCAR driver Jeremy Mayfield's credibility is already pretty low these days but his claims that he's never used methamphetamines was dealt another blow when a NASCAR official let it be known yesterday that there are a whole slew of witnesses who can testify that Mayfield has used the stuff recently and over a long period, according to The Charlotte Observer.

Comment

Spidey....you tree'd my blog item.

Brian

Comment

I go far and wide to discredit the toyota motor company
                          and I am just sittin around

Comment

Mayfield has spent years blaming everyone else for his failed career. First he was slow because Penske made him drive the same cars as Rusty Wallace. Then he was slow because Ray Evernham was cheating on his wife. Now Nascar doesn't want him to race so they put meth in his pee. To that point he'd been doing a good job of keeping himself out of races by being slow in qualifing. He didn't need Nascar's help to miss races. If I was doing as bad at my job as he is at his I'd probably be doing drugs too.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                              Speed, my personal hero is EJ Potter. Not sure if you know of or about him, but if not google him up. A great empirical thinker and a truly neat guy.

Potter came up with an idea for what he saw as the perfect form of automotive competition a few years ago and it was published here. It's a neat read. Potter saw this form of competition as being immune from the corruption of purpose (hell I'm starting to sound like you) that big money brings to racing.

This is one of my favorite things to read every now and again. EJ's a very neat guy and I've had the pleasure of talking t to him several times.

Check it out...

Part 1 -- http://www.draglist.com/artman/publi...cle_1030.shtml
                              Part 2 -- http://www.draglist.com/artman/publi...cle_1031.shtml

Brian
                              We've certainly drifted off-topic a bit . . . .

Yeah, I'm old enough to remember E.J. Potter and his crazy SBC Harley. He's a legend.

But his idea, of course, has been "corrupted" (i.e. Engine Masters Challenge http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...lls/index.html)

Potter admits that much of the motivations for competitive hot rodding are "showing off" (excluding, of course, hot rodding's private gratification and entertainment effects -- to which Warren Oates's G.T.O. in "Two-Lane Blacktop" erroneously alleged -- without any actual experience -- that "Those satisfactions are permanent" (They're not, as the legion of "for sale" vehicles at any Goodguys or NSRA event or collector car auction can demonstrate))

"Showing off" requires somebody to watch and lawful venues for the contest. By eliminating uninvolved spectators and promoters/track owners as mostly superfluous, Potter's plan deprives hot rodders of much of the "fuel" and "air" for "showing off." Back before NASCAR, a couple of bootleggers racing their 'shine haulers on an improvised oval in pasture somewhere simply didn't stroke the egos of the "show offs" enough. Besides, racing, like most "masculine" competitions, really boils down to attracting girls and besting rivals for the "best" girls. Thus, "showing off" in relative obscurity doesn't really cut it.

Certainly You Tube and the internet allow for "virtual" spectators and clandestine (often illegal) locations. But a better solution would be for the development of public access "speed parks" that are not dependent upon the "big event/full grandstand/broadcast TV" model for financing.

Of course (back on topic) Mayfield is may soon learn about the dissatisfactory nature of having to "show off" in obscurity . . . .

Comment

Working...
                              X