Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breaking News: That Was Quick! Cash for Clunkers Program So Successful it's Broke and Will be Halted Tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking News: That Was Quick! Cash for Clunkers Program So Successful it's Broke and Will be Halted Tomorrow

Re: Breaking News: That Was Quick! Cash for Clunkers Program So Successful it's Broke and Will be Ha

My guess is Congress is more surprised than anyone...

Comment

Re: Breaking News: That Was Quick! Cash for Clunkers Program So Successful it's

Scrambling for more money? Shocking!
      Wonder where they'll get that? Oh yeah... the tax payers.

Surely this won't happen with health care.

-Brad

Comment

Originally posted by Brad54
        Scrambling for more money? Shocking!
        Wonder where they'll get that?
        -Brad
        Sell surplus postal trucks........
        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by bulletnose
          My guess is Congress is more surprised than anyone...
          They always are... But there's no problem they can't overcome by throwing another couple layers of bureaucracy and our money at it.

-Brad

Comment

Re: Breaking News: That Was Quick! Cash for Clunkers Program So Successful it's Broke and Will be Ha

Man I hope they got a few Chevettes and a Geo or two, hopefully we'll see a ProMod Prius soon because that is the kind of car America wants. At least that is what the Government thinks.

Got Volt?

Comment

Its dead as of this morning officially.

Each dealer only got enough cash for a dozen trade-ins.

just marketing and hype by our govt. more wasteful spending. Ya know that new Lexuses qualified for this program? right?
              ya knew that...right?

Its not about saving fuel or carbon emissions.....this little program can have virtually no impact. its too small.

duh.

I'm just glad that the money uncle sam took out of my paycheck let a new Lexus owner get a big savings on his new luxury car. I mean, after all, I make almost $20,000 dollars a year. I should be helping those less fortunate than me. I think this a great idea.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

US ?cash-for-clunkers? fund runs out
              WASHINGTON, July 30 - The U.S. government?s $1 billion ?cash for clunkers? auto sales incentive program reached its funding limit unexpectedly after an avalanche of business exhausted its funds, an Obama administration official said late Thursday.

Auto dealers began offering government-backed rebates in early July of up to $4,500 to consumers who traded-in their gas-guzzlers for more fuel-efficient vehicles.

EDITOR?S CHOICE
              Analysis: Carmakers back on the road - Jun-17Ford sees market share jump - Jul-01?Cash for clunkers? plan to be put to test - Jun-14But the Transportation Department will need additional cash after rebates for nearly 250,000 vehicles jammed the pipeline nationwide.

The White House was working with Congress to try to extend funding as lawmakers prepared to leave town for the month of August, according to the official who was not authorized to speak for attribution.

The program was part of a congressional effort to revive slumping U.S. sales and further help domestic automakers, especially General Motors and Chrysler that briefly went bankrupt.

Sales unexpectedly spiked this week after the government began logging transactions and approving rebates that indicated consumers were opting for vehicles that get significantly better gas mileage than the models they were trading in.

The end of the month is usually the busiest time for auto dealers and automakers that have matched the government benefit.

Initially, congressional and industry officials signaled that the program was going to be suspended late Thursday or early Friday as funding ran out.

The administration opted to keep the program in place while it sought new money. It was not clear where the administration would find additional funding in a short period of time.

?We hope there?s a will and a way to keep the program going a bit longer,? General Motors said in a statement. ?Any doubt that the program would jump-start auto sales is completely erased.?

An estimated 16,000 dealers were eligible for the program and each would have to sell more than a dozen vehicles at the maximum rebate to reach the government?s funding limit, according to the National Automobile Dealers Association.

U.S. Senators Dianne Feinstein of California and Susan Collins of Maine said any extension of the incentive must require greater fuel efficiency and higher reductions of auto emissions.

Congress wrestled with both issues when it established the current incentive to give U.S. manufacturers a better chance of qualifying for the program.

U.S. auto manufacturers are scheduled to report their July sales next week.

It was unclear how the program that was to run into the fall was impacting sales at individual companies, including Asian manufacturers like Toyota and Honda that make the most fuel efficient cars on the road.

Nevertheless, analysts expected the program, if utilized fully, to push U.S. sales above 10 million units for 2009, higher than the annual rate so far this year. That would represent a modest jump for an industry that has endured a severe slide in business during the recession.

- Rueters -
              Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

This CARS program makes me so mad. There are so many things wrong with it. What a joke!

Comment

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha ..... (choke) !!!
                  :P

Comment

I read somewhere yesterday that a couple got a call from the dealer to bring their new car back and work out a new deal without the $4500 or give it back. In some cases this is happening after the clunker has already been crushed and the folks are out their new car, thier $4500 and their old car as well!

I the evening news they interviewed some folks a local (Raleigh I think) dealer who claimed it was taking them 5 hours to do all the paper worked required. As of yesterday evening they had sold 12 cars under the Cash For Clunkers program and had only filled finished out the paper work on one!

Comment

The welfare/bailout giveaway known as "Cash for Clunkers" has reaffirmed that America has no shortage of welfare-loving sucklings who are out for a quick, unearned "score" from big government.

And there's no shortage of enablers who would mindlessly vandalize our recent automotive heritage and mortgage our children's futures for a quick hit of free money.

Nor are there any shortages of pandering welfare pimps who are milking the taxpayers for political gain. $1,000,000,000.00 is mere pocket change in a stampede on the public treasury.

"Car Allowance Rebate System" [sic] is certainly Orwellian newspeak.

Some now want any extension of the handouts to require greater fuel efficiency and higher reductions of auto emissions.

In other words, it's not enough to force hundreds of thousands of irreplaceable V8s off the road in favor of mostly imported, disposable FWD crap-boxes -- now the Greeniacs want to make sure that the welfare vouchers only go for the purchase of a fleet of tiny, soulless deathtraps-on-wheels.

As I predicted, the taxpayer-borrowed money funded war on future collector cars built in the 1980s and 1990swill become another bloated, wasteful government entitlement program.

It will become another gilded political football thrown about by a greed-soaked cadre of paid hack lobbyists who represent the bailout loving auto dealers and manufacturers.

It will allow a hoard of lazy mopes to leach more "free money" they haven't earned from the government.

It will lead to another huge transfer of our kids' and grandkids' money mostly to the Asians, all in exchange for a fleet of ugly, gutless FWD wimpmobiles and some quickly exhausted "stimulus."

And it will lead to the tragic obliteration of a generation of V8s and the diverse and interesting vehicles in which they were installed -- vehicles which under normal free market conditions should have been available for restoration, hot rodding, motorsports and spare parts.

Cash for Clunkers was "bankrupt" before the first unearned, borrowed welfare-bailout dollar was paid out.

Comment

thank you dick maskin for not making me so sad about 305s getting crushed
                        dart is spittin out small blocks faster than prius are clogging our highways

Comment

Working...
                        X