Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbon Motors Buys Indiana Factory

Re: Carbon Motors Buys Indiana Factory

The Carbon E7 will not only meet or exceed all FMVSS requirements with all law enforcement equipment efficiently integrated into the vehicle from the factory, but is additionally designed to meet a 75-mph rear impact crash
    Thats a heck of a hit!
    The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Crown Vic's tend to explode when that happens.

They spend a lot of time on the sides of highways remember.

Brian
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I am wondering if the police cruiser Carbon Motors is developing will have to meet federal standards with regards to emissions and safety as an automobile available to the common public would, or if the Homeland Security Act will exempt them from such.

Hmmmm.....

Ron
        It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

The Carbon E7 is a neat car. Turbo diesel for power. Can be had with self contained filtration system in case of chemical attack, all components designed to be integrated from the start. Hopefully it will work out.

Spent many an hour working on cop cars and the Crown Vics and especially the Chargers lack in many ways for police duty. Don't even want to comment on the Honda hybrid the local PD has been using the last two years.

Connersville really needs that economic boost. Since the Ford plant shut down, it has really went downhill.

Comment

Good for Indiana. The town I live in, Braselton, GA was on the short list for the factory.

Comment

I was wondering when we'd hear the first story of some upstart buying a closed automotive plant and trying to turn out their own cars. Congratulations to Carbon Motors on being the first, and I think they've got a good chance. Was hoping they'd put their factory in Georgia, but this must have been an opportunity they couldn't pass up.

Comment

Hold up on that tickertape parade just yet, folks....

I agree, this could be potentially great news for the folks down in Connersville(hell, the southcentral portion of the state for that matter). Re-opening a closed plant and putting people back to work is ALWAYS a damned good thing!

BUT(and this is a big'un), there's some serious red tape holding things up.

Things like, for one, the bankruptcy deal with Visteon(the building is owned by Ford).....who actually owns the property, and are they willing/able to even sell the property?

There's also the issue of contamination/clean-up..........how expensive is this gonna be, and where the hell are they(Carbon Motors) gonna come up with the funds necessary to finance this clean-up?

Add in some serious concessions from the state and local governments(who are cash-strapped to begin with), and I'm not quite convinced that this bird is gonna fly, so to speak.

Here's an interesting tidbit: These law-enforcement-specific vehicles are not intended to be released to the general public after they are officially "retired"....something about being sent back to the factory and destroyed/recycled.....hmm....not trying to be a stick in the mud about this, just some serious doubts being raised in my head.

smoke

Comment

I understand Smoke's doubts. They are very real questions that will call for some real answers.

Still, I hope all works out. I know Indiana could use the jobs and I would bet that law enforcement could use a car designed much like this one. My fingers are crossed that it will all work out.

Comment

Originally posted by NMCA_Ron
                    I am wondering if the police cruiser Carbon Motors is developing will have to meet federal standards with regards to emissions and safety as an automobile available to the common public would, or if the Homeland Security Act will exempt them from such.

Hmmmm.....

Ron
                    Yep , federal law . Of course now witthe current admin. anything can be done " for the betterment of the ecomomy "

Comment

pie in the sky
                      I wonder who's junk diesel they are going to use ?
                      diesel will not be practical in cop car applications
                      diesel is not enviromentally friendly - our president has told us that
                      there is not enough french fries made on the earth to fuel this dream machine , since they plan to bio diesel roscoe
                      maybe they should run on powdered sugar and coffee

Comment

Originally posted by tiresmoke!
                        Here's an interesting tidbit: These law-enforcement-specific vehicles are not intended to be released to the general public after they are officially "retired"....something about being sent back to the factory and destroyed/recycled.....hmm....not trying to be a stick in the mud about this, just some serious doubts being raised in my head.

smoke
                        I was disappointed on that one too, as I'd like one for myself. They aren't going to be destroyed unless damaged beyond repair; they'd simply have any wear items either rebuilt or replaced and be sold to other police departments.

They're trying to be coy about where they are buying their diesels, but it's either Mercedes or BMW.

Comment

Working...
                        X