Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NHRA Names Ford as Official Vehicle; What Will Bob Frey Drive Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHRA Names Ford as Official Vehicle; What Will Bob Frey Drive Now?

Re: NHRA Names Ford as Official Vehicle; What Will Bob Frey Drive Now?

With the state of GM and Chrysler, there's going to be many more marketing opportunities like this for Ford.
    I R Bob
    You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
    2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

In Joisey he can drive what he wants.
      On the road - a rental car.
      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

bob frey drives an aspen wagon

Comment

Dude...guess you missed that day.

Wagon is gone. Now rolls in the Solstice.

Brian
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Maybe Ford will slip a GT500 into Frey's pocket?

Ron
            It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Passing out free cars must be cheaper than actually bothering to field a Pro Stock that could win . . . .

Comment

Good point Speed, but those pesky Ford guys are back-dooring their way into Pro Stock with Larry Morgan next season.

Jim Cunningham has been stumbling around in the dark on his own dime (ok wooden nickles) for years, begging for help. I think he is getting a sniff, but Morgan is getting the most official un-official support. His Mustang is currently under construction.

Brian

Comment

Yeah, I heard about Morgan. Best of luck.

But Brian Wolfe has suggested a number of times that Ford wasn't going to get serious in PS unless somebody else paid for it. That's a lot different than when Glidden was dominant back in what's looking more and more like the "good old days."

Of course the NHRA could just "NASCAR" the class and let Ford rebadge the GM DRCE (which is in a sense what the fuel classes have become with the ubiquitous aftermarket Hemi (notwithstanding Ford's recent "Boss" modifications of it for Force). That would be a huge mistake in the drift toward "pro" and from "stock", but it wouldn't surprise me if it happened some day.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot
                    That's a lot different than when Glidden was dominant back in what's looking more and more like the "good old days."

Those were it brother. I respect the hell out of the guys who drive those cars because they are like machines (For the most part. WJ needs to hang up his spurs) with how they react and shift the cars with such precision.

There's no stock left. Look at the nose of a Pro Stocker close. It's stretched to the point of clown car proportions. Yes, there are some things dimensionally stock about the car and they have factory headlight lenses in them, but the ship to neverland has sailed.

Brian

Comment

Sad but true.

Once I spent about 15 minutes shooting photos of one of Glidden's Thunderbirds in Brent Hajek's "school house" muesum in Ames, Oklahoma . . . It was amazing how subtle the mods were, but how "stock" it all looked (arguable more stock-looking than Bill Elliott's 212 m.p.h. Thunderbird that was nearby). . . . and both of these '80s Birds look nearly "factory stock" compared to the "funnycars" in NASCAR and NHRA PS now.

I think this is part of the reason that some of the non-NHRA doorslammer "heads up" racing is popular. There's no "stock" left in the big-time pro classes anymore.

Curiously, neither Oldsmobile nor Pontiac apparently got much boost from their NHRA sponsorships. Could it be because neither of them sold anything much like what actually raced in the NHRA's "TV classes?" (at least Firebird and Lutz's GTO were V8 and RWD, though) Maybe it will work out better for FoMoCo.

Comment

Working...
                      X