Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great Rant: Are New Cars Ruining Old Car Shows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Rant: Are New Cars Ruining Old Car Shows?

Re: Great Rant: Are New Cars Ruining Old Car Shows?

Not for me, I just don't look at them.

Comment

Ouch that hurts!!! I guess I should drop out of the HOT ROD power tour since I drive a new car that you can see on the show room floor. I really have a distaste for people like the author, but I will leave that to myself. You know I enter my Solstice in car shows that help benifit the handicap or firefighters and such. I don't care if I win or care if any of the so called Old Car owners even come to look at my car, I am there to help a cause, make friends and to look at nice cars. I have even found out that alot of the so called owners never did the work themselves anyway. Now I'm off my soapbox.
      It's not the destination, but the journey and the friends you make along the way that counts.

Comment

Well being the owner of both new and old cars I have to disagree with the author. There are plenty of shows out there that have year restrictions on the cars that can be entered. If there's no restrictions, then it's game on. If you don't want to see the new iron, keep on steppin man.

In the case of my Lightning, it is one of 1100 ever made that color so it's fairly rare. How many red 69 Camaros did they make. :
        I R Bob
        You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
        2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Originally posted by BluLightning
          How many red 69 Camaros did they make.
          RS/SS or Z28 ?
          ;D

Comment

People need to see other sides of this hobby.How small will you have your vision??.

We need input on a daily basis to be creative and to give our life more.

We are in the same boat anyway.Our cars have usually four wheels and a steering wheel.

What i want to say,is that our hobby will get better if we see other cars.New or old.

Comment

Well - I like old cars.

To me pretty much anything "late model" is unattractive at best and downright ugly at worst. I personally have no interest whatsover in checking them out at shows or seeing them on the racetrack - even if some of them are brutally fast.

But I certainly don't think they should be restricted from attending shows - especially if they fall under the "special interest" category. People with different tastes than mine may find them interesting & want to view them.

I do agree with the author of the article on one of his points tho: The asshole with the lame-ass loud stereos deafening everybody else who's unfortunate enough to be nearby with shitty rap & dance music. You want to do that kind of damage to your own hearing, that's your problem, but I worked in live concert production for 25 years & during that time I did everything I could to protect my hearing. I don't need some clueless moron screwing it up for me.

Comment

I understand where the author is coming from and I do prefer shows with limits on the age of the cars and trucks involved. However, it new cars/trucks must be allowed in a judged show, they should compete against one another and not against older vehicles. That said I don't see the need for banning them all together.

If I go to a show either to watch or enter and I hear the loud music with the bass so loud it shakes the ground you walk on, I immediately leave.

Comment

Thanks Bob, and the rest of ya's for taken up for us new car owners. We do compete only against each other, but I have been put into catagories such as 77 to present, and have won. As far as the loud music, I have to agree on that, the shows are not to judge how loud your stereo is, they have competitions for that. I still go to shows that only restrict to older cars as a spectator and admirer of the old stuff.
                  It's not the destination, but the journey and the friends you make along the way that counts.

Comment

All good points (especially the one about red Camaros - I would include Chevelles, too).

BUT - there's a place and time for all cars, and let's keep in mind that it's a hobby (not a lifestyle).

For instance - a new Mustang doesn't belong at an AACA meet, but fits right in on the Woodward Avenue event.

Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax

For instance - a new Mustang doesn't belong at an AACA meet, but fits right in on the Woodward Avenue event.

True. And mass-produced muscle cars have no place at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. Just like billet has no place at "Billetproof." These rules go to the integrity and raison 'd etre for these special events.

That doesn't mean that there shouldn't be less exclusive events that allow all makes and models.

Nor does it mean that most ordinary car shows should have arbitrary age cut-offs. Is a Buick Grand National any less a muscle car because it was built after 1972? Is a '55 Chevy "gasser" (think Bob Falfa) any less a hot rod because it was designed after 1948? Is a GT500 or an SRT-8 any less interesting to a real auto enthusiast merely because a lucky few can swing the huge monthly payments for them?

Comment

What I got from the article was that he wasn't irritated by the newer cars so much as he was with the younger owners who don't know how to behave politely in an all ages setting. A car show that is open to all is NOT a NOPI show and people need to act accordingly.

Comment

It really depends on the theme of the show. An open car show is for everybody....Old car shows are for old cars.... ... no biggie... It's like I wouldn't insist my Ford on an all Chevy show... plain and simple.... but does it ruin the show??> I don't think so, they're just out of place

Comment

This is fascinating as many of the legendary hot rods were built when they were practically new. Hirohata's Merc wasn't even a year old when Barris started hacking it up. I just read about Otto Rhodes Mountain Pearl 53 F1 pickup was only five years old when it got the full treatment.

So why is everyone creeped out now when a newer car gets customized and is in a show? Memory loss?
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Newer is a bad thing? To many folks, my 81 El Camino is too new, yet to others they will stop and talk/ask questions for over an hour. It's all personal preference. I dont mind seeing a newer ride at a show if it is more than just off the showroom floor-like Bob's Lightning, it's gotta be something a bit different than I see at every lot.
                              Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

Working...
                              X