Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great Rant: Are New Cars Ruining Old Car Shows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Great Rant: Are New Cars Ruining Old Car Shows?

I just had this conversation with my 10yr old son on Saturday night....we went to a local biweekly cruise and there were 5 new challengers, 3 newish t birds....a magnum....a new camaro......and a couple bone stock mustangs that still had goo in the window from its sticker......my son asked why these cars were there.....it bugs me.....if I want to see that I can stroll the car lots....there are plenty.....
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I drive a "new" vehicle ('97 ranger) and I'm aware I don't belong.
      But I enjoy that fact I swapped a V8 myself, wired EFI myself, modified the suspension myself, and every other part of the truck was done by myself and friends. That's a hot rod, regardless of it's age.
      1997 Ranger 5.0L HO, GT40 heads/tubular intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, B303, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, T5 trans, Tri-Ax shifter, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, 8.8 Traction Lok 3.55 gears, Cobra 13" front brakes, Cobra 11.65" rear discs.
      1997 Mustang GT
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Teddyzee
        I drive a "new" vehicle ('97 ranger) and I'm aware I don't belong.
        But I enjoy that fact I swapped a V8 myself, wired EFI myself, modified the suspension myself, and every other part of the truck was done by myself and friends. That's a hot rod, regardless of it's age.
        I think the issue is not whether it's a hot rod or not, it's bringing a new car on an old car show... For me, stick to the theme, or you'll be out of place...It's like bringing a 09 highly modified Mustang in an all- Japanese classic car show

Comment

Originally posted by Mr4Speed
          What I got from the article was that he wasn't irritated by the newer cars so much as he was with the younger owners who don't know how to behave politely in an all ages setting. A car show that is open to all is NOT a NOPI show and people need to act accordingly.
          I tend to agree that a few show participants apparently haven't learned manners and decorum.

Obviously, if I wanted to broadcast at 120+db Snoop Dogg or Pit Bull "kickin' it" about some sleazy business "in da 'hood," I'd have wasted $10,000.00 on 1000 lbs of "subs" and "amps" and be "crankin'" up the system in my own "whip." Just like fire burnouts in a crowd would be stupid, dangerous and outrageously inconsiderate, cranked stereos, "Show us your T@#$" signs, loud and profane tirades, public drunkeness, and NOPI CHIK/DUDE wantabes who apparently left half of their clothes at home are "major buzzkills" for the family show scene.

Use some common sense and discretion people!

Comment

What I got from the article was that he wasn't irritated by the newer cars so much as he was with the younger owners who don't know how to behave politely in an all ages setting. A car show that is open to all is NOT a NOPI show and people need to act accordingly.
            If that's the case the author should not have limited his subject to car shows. You got those same types of people in almost every part of your life, not just car shows.
            I R Bob
            You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
            2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY2
              I just had this conversation with my 10yr old son on Saturday night....we went to a local biweekly cruise and there were 5 new challengers, 3 newish t birds....a magnum....a new camaro......and a couple bone stock mustangs that still had goo in the window from its sticker......my son asked why these cars were there.....it bugs me.....if I want to see that I can stroll the car lots....there are plenty.....
              Then I guess you wouldn't have wanted to go cruising in the '60s, when there were new Challengers, T-birds, 440 Magnums, new Camaros and "bone stock Mustangs" . . . .

I think your ten-year-old ought to be soaking in all of the newish V8 muscle that's still around, because chances are his opportunities to buy a new factory V8 will be about as good as scoring a brand new 426 Hemi were in 1975.

I guess we don't really appreciate some things until they're gone.

Comment

Originally posted by BluLightning
                If that's the case the author should not have limited his subject to car shows. You got those same types of people in almost every part of your life, not just car shows.
                Well - I guess that would be a vote for restricting that "type" of person from participating then, wouldn't it?

Simpler I think to set up one simple rule:

Behave like an adult, or get out.

Comment

Originally posted by Not A Duster
                  Originally posted by BluLightning
                  Well - I guess that would be a vote for restricting that "type" of person from participating then, wouldn't it?

Simpler I think to set up one simple rule:

Behave like an adult, or get out.

Amen brother! ;D
                  I R Bob
                  You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                  2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

After getting almost physically ejected from the NSRA nats east for bringing in a 1949 style car
                    [take more than 15 rent a cops to get me out ]
                    it is with great glee hearing that NSRA events will now include 1980 cars
                    I will rent Toad's EAGLE to take to york , I LOVE IT !!!

Comment

Working...
                    X