Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unearthed: The Government Instructions on Killing "Clunker" Engines

Re: Unearthed: The Government Instructions on Killing \

This is far and away the worst and most insidious part of the program as it makes the engine useless for re builders or others needing these parts and pieces and will ensure that these clunkers go straight to the crusher for scrap value only.

As posted in an earlier blog the whole program is a short term taxpayer subsidy of the 100,000 or so people who buy these cars now and will therefore not buy cars later and like everyone who waits for the big rebates etc. we will have created another reason not to buy cars at normal prices and profitability.

Like so much of what is being shoved down our throats at the moment we have no idea what the real story is before the money is out the door and an essential part of our hobby is lost to us permanently.
    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Every time I read something about this gov't program, the madder I get! >

So if this is such a great program (paying people tax dollars to buy a new car and kill a working, old one) then why doesn't our gov't come up with a similar one for the housing market that is in the worst slump in decades.

People could have older homes bulldozed for a newer, energy efficient one their neighbors could pay for.

Comment

Pardon my language, but I can't find anything else that comes close: What the ####, over?!
        Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

This C4C program is bad juju.

The used car dealers are getting screwed.
          The engine rebuilders are getting screwed.
          The salvage yards are getting screwed.

When even the greenie-weenies "get" that this program is bad, you know the American public is getting screwed.
          Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

I'm getting even more curious by the moment to see the inside of one of these "murdered" engines.

Maybe I'll try to buy one (they couldn't be worth much with that "death certificate" sticker on them)

As to "bulldozing houses," they've already had that idea. See e.g. "Urban renewal" (http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohisto...ages/1295.html) ;
            New York City Housing Authority (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yor...sing_Authority);
            Cabrini-Green Housing Project (Chicago)(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabrini_Green);
            Robert Taylor Homes (Chicago)(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Taylor_Homes);
            Jordan Downs Housing Projects (Los Angeles)(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_...es,_California) . . . .

Comment

You would think they would keep the powertrain if it was say 2005 or newer and offer it to folks who could you it to update older less efficient powertrain. Then crush the hulk.

Comment

Originally posted by efi-diy
                You would think they would keep the powertrain if it was say 2005 or newer and offer it to folks who could you it to update older less efficient powertrain. Then crush the hulk.
                No. Because the misquided folks behind this madness see any "field modification" of a production vehicle as "tampering."

SEMA-SAN proposed a modernization program that was summarily dismissed by the "sealed hood/no tampering" "appliance motorist" crowd in Washington D.C.

Moreover, the reason for destroying the engines is to take those "guzzling" powerplants off-the-road "forever"and eventually force everyone into a "low carbon" micro-machine. Allowing hot rodders to retrofit the V8s, in their small minds, means that more "obsolete" "gross polluters" will stay on the roads longer. Never mind that an '80s-'90s EFI V8 might get twice the m.p.g. of a worn-out carb'd engine or that hot rods aren't usually daily drivers. The car crushers can't see comparative advantages and view retrofitting as "circumvention" of their EPA dreams.

Comment

We won't be running ours at 2000 rpm. I'm keeping a camera and a video camera handy.

If we have to do it we might as well have some fun with it.

Comment

if you must, let it die at 6000!! again screw c4c
                    and them that came up with it, I hope they get
                    the bird flew or cronic gas >
                    COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

The whole description and requirement of destroying the gas guzzling engines smacks of the gov't officials appeasing their greeney tree hugging constituents' agenda. They believe they are right to the point that they feel it's their duty to save the rest of crude lovers whether we want saving or not.
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Too bad my 2000 SS Camaro doesn't qualify (1mpg too good). I would have a four door family car in it's place by now. Didn't know they toasted the motor. Guess I would have saved the LS1 and swapped in a 5.3 motor real quick like. Oh well, looks like it will be a few months of saving my pennies before I trade my car in.
                        1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
                        1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

Originally posted by 1970camaroRS
                          Too bad my 2000 SS Camaro doesn't qualify (1mpg too good). I would have a four door family car in it's place by now. Didn't know they toasted the motor. Guess I would have saved the LS1 and swapped in a 5.3 motor real quick like. Oh well, looks like it will be a few months of saving my pennies before I trade my car in.
                          You cant get more than 4500 for a 2000 SS Camaro?!

Comment

Trade in on a 2000 camaro ss with 250000 miles and no options is 4100. What is wrong with yours? Trade it in and get what ever you want. You should probably give away your 70 camaro before you decide to crush that too. >

Comment

Originally posted by 1970camaroRS
                              I'm a Mustanger, not a CAMulletARO lover, but it makes me sick to my stomach to hear that someone who claims to be a "bangshifter" would even consider crushing ANY SS for a soulless family wimpmobile. There's probably some greasy kid in a small town somewhere in the heartland who would give everything he's or she's got for a chance at a V8 Camaro (even a worn-out one with 250,000 miles).

Everytime I've signed up for a new or nearly new muscle car (all Fords, btw), that kid I don't know who'll end up with it after I'm done is always in the back of my mind.

Those of us who can afford to score late model muscle have a responsibility to preserve it for future generations. Selling V8 RWD cars to the government for a welfare voucher is an abdication of that responsibility.

As I wrote a while back at Truth With Speedzzter:

C4C sure won't benefit the thousands of small businesses that who will have fewer customers because initially 250,000 V8s and V12s from the 1980s and 1990s (and probably 1,000,000+ V8s and V12s when [they] appropriate some more money for this mess in fiscal year 2010) will be destroyed.

It sure won't benefit used car dealers and auto auctions, who will lose some of their opportunities for so-called "clunkers" vehicles to sell.

It sure won't benefit the thousands of hot rodders, kit car builders, restorers, and grassroots racers who will have to pay higher prices for the parts they need.

It sure won't benefit present and future generations of vintage vehicle collectors and restorers who will be deprived of hundreds of thousands of potential collector and donor vehicles.

It sure won't benefit the owners of true clunkers (i.e. rusted out FWD imports) who get no welfare vouchers to give to the pandering dealers and OEMs who are getting bailed out by [C4C]

It won't benefit the beginning drivers and the low-income families who cannot buy a new car but will be deprived of hundreds of thousands of still-functional used vehicles that will be wasted in the jaws of the crusher/shredder.

And it sure won't benefit the future generations who will have to pay interest to the Chinese and others for the money borrowed and wasted on this anti-free market welfare scheme.

Finally, this lament over not being able to "murder" an SS Camaro reminds me of a comment and spirited riposte in a USA Today reader discussion of "Cash for Clunkers:"

"I'm not poor, and I am what most people in America consider to be "the future of this country." This will benefit young professionals who are trying to make a good start in this economy. My husband and I own a 1995 Mustang [NOTE: A HIGHLY COLLECTABLE CAR THAT SOME CLUELESS "APPLIANCE MOTORIST" WANTS TO DESTROY FOR A WELFARE VOUCHER] because as college students it was what we could afford. Now, with careers we are ready for a new more fuel efficient car. With this voucher (which would cover our car and the 22mpg Venza [NOTE: A FOREIGN CAR] we would like to buy, not a tin foil car to whomever mentioned that above) we would be able to get some value out of our trade to take about $50 a month off a new car payment. This voucher DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE! And yes, it will cost $4 billion dollars, but it's an investment [NEWSPEAK BUZZ-WORD FOR A TRANSFER OF WEALTH TO SOMEONE WHO DID NOT EARN IT] for the future. Many of my friends are in the same situation as we are and the [federal government] is taking the steps to get us started in this terrible economic time.

If you're the future of America, then we are all screwed. You want us to believe that trading you 95 mustang in for a $3500 voucher will allow you to own a new car rather than drive a clunker, yet you admit the difference will only be about $50 per month. So for $1.60 per day from [the federal government], you will be lifted from the desperate situation of driving a 14 year old car and blessed with the opportunity to do something with your life, all for $1.60 a day. I wonder how much money you spend on frivolous BS each and every day.

The future taxpayers be damned, I want my $1.60 per day!

Comment

Working...
                              X