Clear All

• Wow! Rare Stude Motor Goes for $25,000 on eBay

Re: Wow! Rare Stude Motor Goes for $25,000 on eBay

Double drool.....
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Sweet!

Dual AFBs rock! Sadly not enough OEMs offered them as options.

Too bad Pontiac (and GM) wimped out of offering the dual quad ram air option for the '65 GTO and then killed all multiple carbs after '66.

Too bad Ford forgot how to install dual quads when it built the Boss 429.

Too bad Chevy abandoned factory dual quads after the 409.

Comment

I suggested to Brian that this would be really cool in his station wagon, but I guess he didn't get his bid down in time. ;)

Some of the Stude guys I know were surprised that it did not bring more than the 25k. There were less than 20 of these ever made and this one is the real deal. Nowadays you can clone them, but like I said this is the real deal.

Comment

Those Granatelli heads HAVE to rank amongst the top 10 most rare performance parts of all time.

Neat, neat mill.
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

wouldnt it be cheaper to just use an SBC? ;D

Comment

wouldnt it be cheaper to just use an SBC? ;D
              And more boring.....

(I got into Studes to get away from the bowtie Kool-Aid drinkers)
              Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

It makes my mind spin to think of all the factory part numbers that make up that complete dual quad manifold assembly - some of the rarest Studebaker part numbers in existence.

Something interesting about the R3 Studebaker head - it is not totally unlike the LS1.

And also, you get a pretty good look at the back side of the intake valve when you look down the intake ports.

I rode in an R3 car that had the supercharger temporarily removed and set up for single 4-bbl. So we're talking lowish compression and the wrong cam. Now this was during my R2 Super Lark street racing days where I could run with 9psi in the manifold, about 13.5/105mph through the mufflers in the mid-70's. All I can say is that R3 had a brutal top end that was stronger than any of the SBC/BBC cars my friends had. It pulled strong to 7800 rpm which was the valve spring redline.

Those heads are a great design and remember, they were made in 1962.

And its all about the heads when it comes to making HP(!)

It would have been interesting if Studebaker could have stayed in business even one more year...

Comment

Working...
                X