• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Cop Charged With "Street Racing"

Re: Canadian Cop Charged With \

Poor slob is screwed !!

Comment

That has been pretty heavy in the news up here. Not the first time either that it has happened since the "street racing" laws were rammed through. Of course the police big-wigs end up with egg on their faces when something like this occurs ... it was mainly the draconian chief of our provincial police that pushed and pushed for the legislation to go in to effect.

cheers
      Ed N.
      Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
      07 Mustang GT with some stuff
      88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

150 km/h is slow as hell. I mean, it sure ain't fast. I do that every day and have been for over 20 years.
        President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

One guy speeding at approximately 90 m.p.h. is "street racing" in Canada?

Somebody in Parliament had too many Molsens . . . or learned about "racing" from watching five minutes of a current "Car of Tomorrow" NASCAR race . . . .

Comment

50 km/h or more over the posted limit is "street racing" as described by an Ontario provincial law that got rammed through the Legislature about 2 years ago. 100 km/h (roughly 62 mph) is the posted limit on most of the 4-lane highways in the province, and 80 km/h (roughly 50 mph) on the 2-lane highways. I usually try to keep it to 149 km/h or under on the big roads now. ;)

As I mentioned, the current Ontario Provincial Police commissioner, a real law-and-order type named Julian Fantino, was skillful enough at manipulating the media to get the general public on side to pressure the Members of Parliament to pass the legislation. But as soon as it went in to effect, and regular people who were just speeding started to get their license yanked for 7 days and their vehicle impounded, a bit of an outcry started. It is currently being challenged in the courts as unconstitutional, that could take a while to be decided.

cheers
            Ed N.

Comment

Ed, are the offending vehicles lost for good (forfeited)? Or is it just a seven-day impound?

Comment

Just 7 days for now. There was talk of cars being crushed like some of the districts in California, but that hasn't happened (yet) here as far as I know.

cheers
                Ed N.

Comment

It would be hilarious if the government were forced to crush one of its own cars (unmarked cruiser) because of this law.

Brian
                  That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

A while ago, they charged a garbage truck driver with street racing. They've pretty much rendered the term meaningless.

Comment

If 90mph is street racing, then most of California's freeway drivers are race car drivers. (except when the freeways turn into the world's largest parking lots.)
                      1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
                      1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

Street racing...huh? Well, I suppose he was actually racing the street (as opposed to another driver). I wonder who won?

That's gotta stink when a brother officer busts you.

Comment

My dad drives a cement truck, and one of his fellow drivers got nabbed for street racing : Apparently, he was clipping along at 100 in an 80, then found himself in a 50 km/h residential area and there is johnny law. You can thank all the import racers on the 404 at rush hour for the law. What happened to driving out too the boonies in the middle of the night, lining em up and racing?

Comment

Working...
                          X