Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site of the Week: Enginehistory.org

Re: Site of the Week: Enginehistory.org

Here's the greatest: http://www.enginehistory.org/NASM/NomadE145-1.jpg The Napier Nomad (Photo: Kimble D. McCutcheon via the Aircraft Engine Historical Society). "A 12-cylinder two-stroke turbo-compounded Diesel, the Nomad was one of the most complex and fuel-effecient engines ever built."

Of course the aero-gearheads argue about which mill's the greatest with almost as much fervor as Bangshifters dispute the all-motor vs. nitrous vs. blower vs. turbo debate. See http://www.enginehistory.org/phpbb/v...c52ce7b343e37c

Comment

My favorite are rotory engines ... the Pratt & Whitney R-4360 "Wasp Major" was the largest aircraft piston engine to be mass produced in the United States, with 28 cylinders, 56 manually-adjustable valves, and 56 spark plugs !!

Comment

Oh, man - I'm gonna spend hours looking through that website!
        Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Corn Cob is one of my fav's....http://www.ohtm.org/edu_col.html.
          Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster
            My favorite are rotory engines ... the Pratt & Whitney R-4360 "Wasp Major" was the largest aircraft piston engine to be mass produced in the United States, with 28 cylinders, 56 manually-adjustable valves, and 56 spark plugs !!
            errr, you mean Radial?
            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

starts in 1955

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster

If this wasn't clear across the country, I might be tempted. $5000 for an R-4360. I've got Graham White's books on the R-2800 and the R-4360, and they're fascinating. There's a guy on one of the warbird message boards who's got 3 fresh R-4360's in their shipping cans down in Texas. I got really interested in the history of the F2G Super Corsair air racers a couple of years ago, and they used the R-4360. It's a pretty neat story. I'd love to make it out to Reno one year to see the air races.

BTW - rotary aircraft engines were the WW1 engines where the crank was fixed and the whole rest of the engine spun around it. The R-4360 is classified as a radial engine. The cylinders are arranged in a radial pattern around a fixed crankcase, and the crankshaft spins.

Comment

Ford X-8

Comment

Allison Double-V-24. 3000HP!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X