Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM Says FARVAL To Saab

Re: GM Says FARVAL To Saab

So if they're just giving it away, I can't help but wonder what they could have made if they'd have dismantled the whole thing and sold it all off piecemeal. Machines, tooling, scrap, facilities, etc.

Something is better than nothing... of course, that's just my meager work-a-day finance experience talking, not that high-falutin' Government Accounting.

-Brad

Comment

I'm not sure my opinion of the sale of subsidiaries has gelled yet.
      Okay, they sell a division that was integrated and then sit back and watch the new company do to them what Toyota did with them through NUMMI (take GM's old technology and sell it as "reliable" to the uninformed masses all while stealing the art from GM - ever wonder why the tacoma pickup looks like the GM small pickups? ... although, the new prius looks has the BMW crease which is entertaining for its own reasons)..... or, they make the country run their own blasted factory and make rules the (new) company can live with.... all while selling their manufacturered cars with SAAB stickers on them (or Hummer, or Saturn)..... then when the agreement is done, simply put "Chevrolet" stickers on the car and sell them through now competing dealerships. It's informative to watch the Opel deal to see the dynamics in play. All, however, isn't set in stone and could change in a moment's notice.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

you can tell the adults are no longer in charge
        if fritz henderson had any hair on his ass , he would quit and write a book

Comment

Re: GM Says FARVAL To Saabbotto

One of the worst things GM did that I cannot forgive them for doing is what they did to Saab. As Brian mentioned Saab was a viable company prior to GM taking it over. They were innovative and obviously unique. No, they were not a threat to any major players in the automotive business, but they held their own. I loved what they were, but not so much what they have become under GM. GM took over Saab in order to compete with BMW and of course the Americanization of Saab failed. I hope GM didn't mortally wound Saab and that it can revive what was once an excellent reputation.

Oh, and Brian where did you get that cool picture of a Saab 96 going bottom up? That was he era of Saab being in the forefront of European rally competition. I never rolled mine, but it did take me through some pretty interesting adventures over the years. I really want another one.

Comment

Working...
          X