Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here Comes the Fail: Clunkers Sales on the Wane Just as Companies Ramp Up Production

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here Comes the Fail: Clunkers Sales on the Wane Just as Companies Ramp Up Production

Re: Here Comes the Fail: Clunkers Sales on the Wane Just as Companies Ramp Up Production

Washington D.C. is the one place on Earth where obvious failure can guarantee a program's continued viability.

As Freiburger's prescient editorial in the October '09 Hot Rod Magazine predicts, the Congress will whitewash the dubious environmental benefits of the "Car Allowance Rebate System" [sic]. This will provide "cover" for the next round.

I predict that then superlobbyists like the Dave McCurdy of the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers will cajole Congress into renewing the "Cash for Clunkers" welfare/bailout plan as a means of: (a) furthering the recovery; (b) reducing the newly bloated inventory of FWD wimpsters that won't sell without about $10,000.00 "cash on the hood;" and (c) making sure that New GM and Chrysler can "pay back" a fraction of the billions the taxpayers have invested in them.

So dealer lots bulging with non-selling enviromobiles will play right into this scheme.

The OEM, labor, dealer, and environmental lobbyists will use the declining impact of the CARS welfare plan and the horrible job that NHTSA has done in administering it to dramatically reduce the restrictions on what can be traded in during the next go-round of sodium silicate vandalism.

Moreover, if Cap and Trade somehow becomes law, utilities and big industrial concerns will likely devise "crusher plans" to "trade" as "offsets" or "credits" for their carbon emissions.

Comment

Re: Here Comes the Fail: Clunkers Sales on the Wane Just as Companies Ramp Up Production

Interesting article in last nights paper.

Phil / Omaha

Comment

We can't spell "Failure" without U !!

Comment

I can't believe the auto industry can be so stupid.

This program (CARS) is like a 25hp sneaky pete shot on nitrous on an 900hp big block. It provides a tiny boost for a short duration with ZERO long term sustainability.
          Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
          1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
          1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
          1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
          1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
          1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Yet this is the one stimulus package that is visible and near immediate. The C4C sold the inventory of cars sitting on lots, cars are now getting built, suppliers are now building parts. If you work for one of these companies, I bet your jumping for joy; whether you're a truck driver who hauls cars from the port to the dealer, or the guy who makes alternators for GM, or someone who installs dash pads in Malibus. I'm betting we'll see more of this type of stimulus even with it's detractors and a large part of the money going to foreign owned companies.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I hope it fails soon. Today I saw a nice Jeep Wrangler, a 93 Mustang LX 5.0 and a 96 Mustang GT in the clunker lot. Not even close to clunker status.

Comment

I guess when the dealers fill their lots back up with cars they won't be able to sell will be the perfect time for me to in and look at the new car I've been wanting. Only they're going to have to give me some incentive to buy!

Comment

Timing is everything, the manufacturers just didn't have to give the major rebates they normal give on the low-markup cars..... and now they've cleared the lots and have the space (just in time, mind you) for the new models. So what they're refilling their lots... they were going to do it anyway.
                  I like the latest nugget I heard - that GM wants to start paying the gov back but the gov won't take the money because they think they can get more money after the new year..... what flipping lunacy - the government is NOT to compete with the market.... unless, apparently, they can come up with a good reason not to - such as vote buying or such things.
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

i agree with Edmund's. now that the initial excitement is over, the dealers and the manufacturers are gonna be building more cars to replace the ones that were sold, but the ones their building now will do the same exact thing as before...sit on the lot. The c4c program was a good idea on paper, but its a bandaid solution to problem that's a gaping wound. FAIL

Comment

Working...
                    X