Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World's Longest Standing Speed Record in Jeopardy Tomorrow; Brits Have the Car to Do it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World's Longest Standing Speed Record in Jeopardy Tomorrow; Brits Have the Car to Do it

Re: World's Longest Standing Speed Record in Jeopardy Tomorrow; Brits Have the Car to Do it

If the Stanley steamer went 127, in all it's crude glory, I would be embarrassed if my super-technologically-advanced streamliner only goes 140 mph..... : It better be tickling at least 200 for me to be impressed.
    Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
    1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
    1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
    1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
    1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
    1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Re: World's Longest Standing Speed Record in Jeopardy Tomorrow; Brits Have the Car to Do it

So right!
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Interesting the difference a century makes in aerodynamic design, looking at the two photopgraphs, the record holder from 1908 and the contender in 2009, they are both technologically advanced for their era.

Comment

I now see the beginning of the demise of America culture was us throwing tea into Boston harbor..... the Brits kept up the tea drinking and now they can have their tea at 200 mph ;D ;D ;D
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Modern car looks like it has a CB antenna from Radio Shack on the roof. Breaker-Breaker good buddy..... I threaded on here months ago that I thought steam and Hot Rods mite be a good combo. If Cummins can make their new steam re-claim Diesel work out, it mite open a lot of new ideas and tech..... Steam your Clams while you race! ;D
            Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockRanger
              If the Stanley steamer went 127, in all it's crude glory, I would be embarrassed if my super-technologically-advanced streamliner only goes 140 mph..... : It better be tickling at least 200 for me to be impressed.
              How pathetic is it that they are bragging about beating a guy who ran a Stanley Steamer 80-plus years ago by 10 mph? If they can't double the record, they should hang their heads in shame!

Comment

So, why is Leno not doing it???

Comment

Leno is busy counting his money.
                  Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

So, why is Leno not doing it???
                    Because Leno knows it ain't easy to set speed records.
                    If it was easy - everyone would do it.

(as a reminder, way more people have climbed Everest than have set a record over 200MPH)
                    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

It wouldn't surprise me if the Stanley folks knew more about making steamers go fast than the Brits with all their technology.

The Brits thought it was a soft record. Apparently, given their news reports, its been a little more difficult than they thought.

Comment

Funny thing about the timing of this article. I was talking with Tonya about steam records and she mentioned someone was going to make a go at it.

I was thinking about it after reading the Bonneville rule book and thinking I probably have a decent group of steam power experts here in Ely. We have two restored, ran daily and maintained steam trains at the train museum. Figuring talking with them I could pick up quite a bit of info. Just dreaming in the clouds but I was thinking about it.
                        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                          Funny thing about the timing of this article. I was talking with Tonya about steam records and she mentioned someone was going to make a go at it.

I was thinking about it after reading the Bonneville rule book and thinking I probably have a decent group of steam power experts here in Ely. We have two restored, ran daily and maintained steam trains at the train museum. Figuring talking with them I could pick up quite a bit of info. Just dreaming in the clouds but I was thinking about it.
                          I know a little about steam power as well.... :

Submarines are propelled and powered by it ;D

Would be very interested in smoking a british record too..I am fairly certain that this record could be beaten with the proper combo.....and it wouldn't cost what I am sure the brits spent.

Seth
                          200 mph or bust.......

Comment

what does franklin think of this
                            ratliff burgers for all ?

Comment

Donald Wales is one of the two drivers of this contraption and I've been getting regular updates... Don's driven the Camaro several years ago and Bob Gribble's Nascar at Maxton.... even though he's a brit... he's not a bad egg....

Seems his Uncle and Grandfather were in the record books a time or two.... perhaps you've heard of them....

Sir Malcom Campbell and his Son Donald....

Hmmm

K

Comment

Working...
                              X