Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steamin Ain't Easy: Brits in Space-age Steam Racer Still Not Able to Claim Record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steamin Ain't Easy: Brits in Space-age Steam Racer Still Not Able to Claim Record

Re: Steamin Ain't Easy: Brits in Space-age Steam Racer Still Not Able to Claim Record

Comical. As the last thread was saying, it's almost sad to see the effort and technology put into this thing to only beat the record by 10mph, but now to see they are having trouble even pulling that off. As also mentioned in the last thread, Stanley probably knew more about steam power than these guys, at least practical use steam power.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Re: Steamin Ain't Easy: Brits in Space-age Steam Racer Still Not Able to Claim Record

If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

My take - the car is overly complex.
      They are trying to finesse themselves into the record.
      What they need is a bigger hammer.
      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Best part of the link in the London Times, seeing old Stirling getting a little cheeky with a couple hotties before Goodwood. Maybe this team needs to rally around their race car, hold hands and sing " This is my Tea-pot, short and stout" for some luck. I wonder if maybe Jesse James is looking for another LSR goal, he liked playing with steam on Monster Garage. Maybe him and Leno should team up and kill this record once and for all with American thinking (and cash).
        Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Maybe him and Leno should team up and kill this record once and for all with American thinking (and cash).
          You think they Brits are trying this on the cheap?
          Guess again.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletnose
            Maybe him and Leno should team up and kill this record once and for all with American thinking (and cash).
            Guess again.
            Never said or meant that, just that those to are like minded and loaded.

Comment

Are these guys asleep at the wheel or what? I've been checking up on these guys over the last year online but all their hoopla seems to amounted to nothing but hot air. :P

It seems like they've got a good design but I'm not sure what's holding them back. I wonder what the limitation of their vehicle is. I'm a bit lazy to run the numbers on their setup right now but I'm rather enjoying chuckling along with the Stanley brothers right now ;D

This would be a fun record to attempt but I have to agree with most of you that I too would not choose the high tech approach. Would I try a steam turbine over a piston engine? Sure. But it would not be as overly elaborate as these guys setup. I am in no way knocking their design or attempt, there is definitely a lot of hard work involved but it ain't my style.

To me, this is the kind of record you attempt for fun and fun only. If I wasn't having a blast throughout the process I'd drop my wrenches and proceed to something else...excuse me now while I work on my coal fired plane :P

Comment

Originally posted by bulletnose
                Guess again.
                Goes along with the pounds they spent getting Andy Clark over the sound barrier.

I've been passed by Leno driving his 05 Stanley in Burbank. He was easily doing 70 mph. Terrifying considering the car is more of a buckboard wagon with a steam engine attached to it than any car. And, it's only got one brake on the right rear wheel. Cruising at those speeds on a city street in that thing with all the head-up-their-ass drivers in this town is down right crazy.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I think they just need to strap some Mickey T ET Streets to this....

[img width=800]http://www.steamlocomotive.com/bigboy/4019b.jpg[/img]
                  sigpic

Comment

I've been passed by Leno driving his 05 Stanley in Burbank. He was easily doing 70 mph. Terrifying considering the car is more of a buckboard wagon with a steam engine attached to it than any car. And, it's only got one brake on the right rear wheel. Cruising at those speeds on a city street in that thing with all the head-up-their-ass drivers in this town is down right crazy.
                    [/quote] maybe thats why the Stanley's got the record in the first place, a car is a lot lighter without all the modern safety stuff. All you needed were to round, brass thingies. Glenn Curtiss went 134mph on Ormond Beach in 1907, with a V-8 motorcycle, thats all he had too, was a pair of them brass thingies. Thats the world we live in now. If you showed up with some flexy-flyer with big power and no safety, they would through you out on your ear but, tell everyone that the guys playing safety first were living life to fullest.( I hope Turk doesn't read this)

Comment

Working...
                    X