Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EFI to NASCAR? Looks Like It

Re: EFI to NASCAR? Looks Like It

I think this is an idea whose time has come. As a matter of fact, I think this idea should've been implemented 10 years ago. All production cars are fuel injected and have been for some time. Aftermarket companies are selling fuel injection systems, and you can build your own with Megasquirt. It shouldn't be all that hard to implement if you hire the right people.

Comment

'Bout time.
      Now they have new ways to cheat in NASCAR.
      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax
        'Bout time.
        how could someone cheat with EFI?
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

ahahaghahahahaga
          the joke continues

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
            Originally posted by studemax
            'Bout time.
            how could someone cheat with EFI?
            Really?

One would think with computer, it would be easier to data log
            and keep the teams on the up and up.

I think it could be a good thing...but might
            be too little, too late?

Comment

the only way there could be "cheating' is if NASCAR tried giving people "sealed boxes" which I don't see as possible, only because there are enough subtle differences in the engines that one system and one program isn't going to cut it.

One thing's for sure, those cup engines will run WAAY better at idle, light throttle, etc. They'll get off the line better out of the pits - those things fall on their faces below 6000rpm with carbs. It'll be nice for them not to be embarrassing below WOT.

And since power is all about airflow, it's not like you can run "bigger inejctors" or something, to make more power than the next guy. Restrictor plates control airflow - so, adding more fuel is just making a richer mixture. I see no way for cheating. And frankly, the datalogging will simply help teams keep better tabs on the engines.

Of course, it'll piss off all the old timers like Spidey which I'll admit is more entertaining.
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by Shannon
                I think this is an idea whose time has come. As a matter of fact, I think this idea should've been implemented 10 years ago. All production cars are fuel injected and have been for some time. Aftermarket companies are selling fuel injection systems, and you can build your own with Megasquirt. It shouldn't be all that hard to implement if you hire the right people.
                I agree....Now they should attach a factory chassis and powerplant to that injector and use a restrictor plate. This way outta proportion, fake bodied, headlight sticker, COT NASCAR has fallen so far off the mark. I have not watched a FAUXCAR race in 9 years, and seriously doubt I ever will until they drive a "REAL" mass produced rearwheel drive V-8 car. There is nothing more boring than an unlimited funded engineer vs unlimited funded engineer. Whatever happened to ingenuity using a factory ride? Smokey is rolling over in his grave.

Comment

Oh boy, that'll bring back the masses. :
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

ASA runs sealed FI engines, so it's not like its a big deal,they have done this for some time.
                    NASCAR has grown good or bad,they havnt run a stock body or a chassis in a very long time.
                    You can watch stock bodied cars in Koni Challenge which is a support series for Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car Series which was bought by NASCAR in late 2008.
                    Wow the circle just keeps going.

Comment

ASA went under
                      NASCAR should go EFI - the cold start drivability will be fabulous
                      carbs are a cost and cheatin safety valve
                      efi crap is just going to give us traction control - so the better driver will get beat
                      how does this help the racing -?it doesn't

Comment

ASA was most famous for a national touring series which began in 1973 but was discontinued in 2004 due to financial difficulties

Comment

As much as I like EFI, my opinion is they are 'fixing' something that is not broke.... but, such is the way of NASCAR. There are many more areas they could be addressing to improve the sport outside of the type of fuel delivery they use.

just my 2 lincs...

Maybe they should just run diesels instead. lmao
                          Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                          1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                          1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                          1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                          1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                          1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Thats true but alot of things havnt been broke in NASCAR that they have changed, its just more control on their part that they will have. Me I would like to see them to go to a 16'' wheel for better handling and brake packages, especially on short tracks and road courses.

Comment

15 inch works better - you need that sidewall
                              hoosier tried to get them to go to a 17 inch wheel - no dice and no hoosier

Comment

Working...
                              X