Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brits Claim Steam Record; Thrashed to the Last Minute

Re: Brits Claim Steam Record; Thrashed to the Last Minute

I'm willing to be totally wrong about the difficulty of obtaining this record, but beating a 103-year-old number by just 12 mph seems weak.

Perhaps Jesse James now has a new goal.

Comment

Congratulations to the British "Steam Team" on taking the record at the last minute, with an average speed of 139.843 mph !!

Hmmmm, I would have thought beating 106-year record by 12 mph was very good ....

Comment

DF, I was thinking the same thing as I read this post.

Just comparing pictures of the old record holder (from over 100 years ago) and the new record holder...I can't believe the slim difference in speed. The new record holder looks like a stealth bomber.

Comment

So which vechicle made more horsepower? Stanley's or the Brits? How much more HP does it take to go from 125mph to 137mph?

*edit

Or even the HP differences between 127mph and 151mph?
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Jay needs to take one of his Stanleys out there and get back the record ;D
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by jscheimreif
              Just comparing pictures of the old record holder (from over 100 years ago) and the new record holder...I can't believe the slim difference in speed. The new record holder looks like a stealth bomber.
              Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
              So which vechicle made more horsepower?
              Stanley's or the Brits?
              How much more HP does it take to go from 125mph to 137mph?
              From these two points of discussion, I believe the Stanley's old record-holding steamer had to have more horsepower, to get the much less areodynamically designed vehicle to 125mph.

Along with the significant aerodynamic advantage and newer technology that the British vehicle had, and that it only got to 137mph, I conclude that of two very similar speeds, the older vehicle would have had to have the more HP.

Have I got it wrong ?

Comment

Probably not.
                My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Ok, that was my line of thinking too. Now what is the mechanical efficiency of a steam turbine versus a steam piston engine? I know turbines are usually quite effecient because higher operating temps with combustion, plus nothing has to stop and reverse directions, but to they have similar efficiency advantages with steam? Don't steam engines use steam pressure in both directions the piston moves (1-stroke engine?)? I would think at least with the turbine application they could really ramp up the rpm's for a ton more top speed, but that apparently didn't happen....

Comment

more details about the car here

360 hp....I guess they were doing well to go over 150 mph.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

It sounds like the British team had a real problem completing the 1 hour tunaround required by the FIA for the backup run.
                      If you listen to the guys on Landspeed.com, they frequently mention that designing your vehicle for quick, easy maintenance is as important as hp and aero when going for an FIA record.
                      I suspect that the 1 hour turnaround wasn't a requirement in 1906.

Comment

Ok, that was my line of thinking too. Now what is the mechanical efficiency of a steam turbine versus a steam piston engine?
                        Gas Turbines, Steam Turbines and Centrifugal Compressors replaced their reciprocating counterparts in the industrial world because of their superior reliability and reduced maintenance, not improved efficiency. The rotating versions are around 15% less efficient than the reciprocating versions.

Comment

Originally posted by Aircooled
                          Ok, that was my line of thinking too. Now what is the mechanical efficiency of a steam turbine versus a steam piston engine?
                          Gas Turbines, Steam Turbines and Centrifugal Compressors replaced their reciprocating counterparts in the industrial world because of their superior reliability and reduced maintenance, not improved efficiency. The rotating versions are around 15% less efficient than the reciprocating versions.
                          Hmm....

Comment

While looking for how much HP the Stanley Rocket I found this interesting read.

Comment

Thanks for that link Randal, very interesting read.

Comment

Working...
                              X