X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video of the Week: Gixxer Kart Versus Hayabusa

Re: Video of the Week: Gixxer Kart Versus Hayabusa

I love stuff like this ...

.. when I was a Sophomore in HS, the Seniors wanted to take the 200cc motor out of my street bike and put it into a frame they had. Somehow, I always managed to avoid them, when I was out riding.

Comment

The video is so blurry it's worthless...
      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

I want.
        Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

This segues well into another story from my youth. ;)

My brother and I were at a friend's house and there was a guy there talking about this go-cart he had with a 350 cc 3 cylinder 2 stroke Suzuki engine on it. Seemed he was driving it on the street that day and was chased by the cops. He ditched it in the woods and ran. After our friend vouched for us he told us where it was and said if it was still there he would trade it for my bros DKW dirt bike. We drove out to the location in my beater ElCamino and after some searching sure enough found it in the woods. We drug it out and loaded it up.

Our route home included the local street racing spot. A long straight stretch of road on the way out of town that had been redone with a new wide bridge. There were no intersections for half a mile. Seems they made it just for us. We stopped and unloaded the cart. You had to kick it but it started right up. My bro hopped in and we pulled out onto the road. We accelerated easily but quickly with him driving in my headlights. The speedo on the Elco read 75 when my bro waved. I nailed it but he was gone into the darkness. When I caught up with him parked on the shoulder he was giddie. He said "How fast were we going?" I replied "75 when you left me." We both laughed our asses off. He said he let out of it in fifth because he couldn't see.

That thing was nuts. It had a t handle shifter on the right. 1 forward and 5 back with clutch gas and brake pedals all on a cheap Western Auto kart chassis. It took some working up to but we did wind 6th gear out many times wearing motocross helmets and goggles to keep our eyes from watering. It was scary as you know how twitchy the steering is on those things. One nudge of the wheel and you were in the other lane.

Many burnouts, donuts, powerslides and high speed runs kept us entertained for years until our cars got faster and we lost interest in the cart. I think my brother gave it away at some point after breaking the motor.

Comment

That thing has "road rash" written all over it...and my 7-year-old-son's eyes just lit up like a Christmas Tree.

Imagine the fun to be had mounting that drivetrain into a Jr. Dragster chassis :o

Comment

Originally posted by msc66
              This segues well into another story from my youth. ;)

My brother and I were at a friend's house and there was a guy there talking about this go-cart he had with a 350 cc 3 cylinder 2 stroke Suzuki engine on it. Seemed he was driving it on the street that day and was chased by the cops. He ditched it in the woods and ran. After our friend vouched for us he told us where it was and said if it was still there he would trade it for my bros DKW dirt bike. We drove out to the location in my beater ElCamino and after some searching sure enough found it in the woods. We drug it out and loaded it up.

Our route home included the local street racing spot. A long straight stretch of road on the way out of town that had been redone with a new wide bridge. There were no intersections for half a mile. Seems they made it just for us. We stopped and unloaded the cart. You had to kick it but it started right up. My bro hopped in and we pulled out onto the road. We accelerated easily but quickly with him driving in my headlights. The speedo on the Elco read 75 when my bro waved. I nailed it but he was gone into the darkness. When I caught up with him parked on the shoulder he was giddie. He said "How fast were we going?" I replied "75 when you left me." We both laughed our asses off. He said he let out of it in fifth because he couldn't see.

That thing was nuts. It had a t handle shifter on the right. 1 forward and 5 back with clutch gas and brake pedals all on a cheap Western Auto kart chassis. It took some working up to but we did wind 6th gear out many times wearing motocross helmets and goggles to keep our eyes from watering. It was scary as you know how twitchy the steering is on those things. One nudge of the wheel and you were in the other lane.

Many burnouts, donuts, powerslides and high speed runs kept us entertained for years until our cars got faster and we lost interest in the cart. I think my brother gave it away at some point after breaking the motor.

Mmm, motor from a Suzuki GT350, nice.

We thought of the same thing using an RD400 engine. ;D

Comment

Working...
              X