• Toyota Wins Cash for Clunkers Lottery, GM and Chrysler Flop

Re: Toyota Wins Cash for Clunkers Lottery, GM and Chrysler Flop

Hmmm...

Clunker share

Toyota 19.4% share
    GM 17%
    Ford 14%
    Honda 13%

I think the "top 10 name plate" is a little misleading as to the success of the companies.

Comment

I wonder how the Japanese invaders and their U.S. collaborators say "I love it when a plan comes together."

Comment

toyota and honda are japanese companies with the japanese government as backers , with a couple of cars screwed together here

Comment

What did we expect? This should be no surprise. The sad fact is that American consumers still do not trust GM or Chrysler. This was somewhat true, especially in the econocar market, even before their recent collapse. I think Ford has made a big, and I mean BIG, effort to take advantage of this scheme (I was listening to BBC radio yesterday and they referred to the cash for clunkers as a "scheme" and I thought that was a proper term.). Also they had two vehicles with at least decent reputations to put forward. The public bit and so Ford is in the top echelon of the cars sold during the scheme.

Comment

GM sold more cars and trucks than Ford. 17% to 14% of the C4C total. Do you guys even read the attached articles?

Comment

GM sold more cars and trucks than Ford. 17% to 14% of the C4C total. Do you guys even read the attached articles?
              I did. Read the 3 linked articles, too.
              They DID NOT sell more than Ford.
              GM didn't even place in the Top 10 models sold, while Ford had 2 in the Top 10.
              Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

stude, you seem to not get the fact that GM sold more cars than Ford....but they were divided among several different models, so no one GM model was in the top 10 of models sold. GM still sold more cars. Remember GM still has like 4 or 5 brands of cars (not that I can keep track of them all).

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Its all about efficiency boys,Toy studied Piggly-Wiggly's just in time delivery system ,that's why they do better.
                  New GM is also ending 25 yrs with Toy in Fremont, ending Nummi .

Comment

Originally posted by studemax
                    I did. Read the 3 linked articles, too.
                    They DID NOT sell more than Ford.
                    GM didn't even place in the Top 10 models sold, while Ford had 2 in the Top 10.
                    To help, here are the relevant portions of the third article, after you get past the crap.

..."According to the figures, Toyota's "clunkers" market share was 19.4 percent, compared with its year-to-date U.S. share through July of 17 percent. Honda captured 13 percent of the "clunkers" market compared with 11 percent for the first seven months of the year.

Nissan accounted for nearly 9 percent of "clunkers" sales compared with a January-July share of 7 percent. Hyundai was the biggest winner with a 7 percent share compared with 3 percent for the year through July.

Ford's "clunkers" sales topped 14 percent, compared with a 15 percent share for the year through July. GM reported 17 percent of "clunkers" business compared with 21 percent from January to July. Chrysler's "clunkers" share was 6.6 percent, compared with 11 percent otherwise."

Name plate sales is not market share.

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

Comment

up to july - GM is outselling everyone , especially in trucks
                      oops , the best product will always sell , despite political crapola

Comment

up to july - GM is outselling everyone , especially in trucks
                        Don't think so....
                        Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

GM 1.129 MIL
                          FORD 901,850
                          CHRYSLER 560,087
                          TOYOTA 945,321
                          HONDA 645,468

Comment

NISSAN 419,591
                            HYUNDAI 250,239
                            MAZDA 119,413
                            MITSU 31,314
                            KIA 176,749
                            SUBARU 115,145
                            SUZUKI 25,915
                            BENZ 101,367
                            SAAB 5060
                            VOLVO 36,187
                            VOLKS 216,173
                            BMW 88,847

Comment

The question here is should we be happy or sad about the 'imports' doing so well. It seems there are more import made here in the USA than 'domestic' cars. How come Nissan, BMW, Toyota etc can build cars here but we have ours built in Canada and Mexico?

Comment

Working...
                              X