Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Excuse to Go Home Early and Drink: Clunkers Turning Office Workers Into Executioners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday Excuse to Go Home Early and Drink: Clunkers Turning Office Workers Into Executioners

Re: Friday Excuse to Go Home Early and Drink: Clunkers Turning Office Workers Into Executioners

"'There's going to be one less hot rod, Owens said."

Even the "pencil-pushers" can figure that out.

Of course what self-respecting mechanic could honestly stomach being a part of this vandalism scheme?

As for the 180 days to trash the rest: the looting vandals and the welfare-pimping bureaucrats are desparate to cover up their evil, shameful wasting of 600,000 still-useful vehicles, many of which would have been potential collector and donor cars if left to the free market to decide.

Evil hates sunlight . . . it's a truth as old as mankind.

Comment

Re: Friday Excuse to Go Home Early and Drink: Clunkers Turning Office Workers Into Executioners

Pressed for time at the moment, but I'll share a quick story from today.

Took a load of scrap steel to the local recycling yard. This place didn't not sell car parts until about two weeks ago, it was just a metal yard. I was suprised to see the sign "now we sell used car and truck parts".

Dozens of "fresh arrivals" with "CC" painted on the windows. Lots of stuff, noticed a ton of mid 1990's Chevy trucks.

I was talking to the owner of the place about the whole thing. I asked about the two stacks of motors in the disassembly area. He told me that about half of the cars coming from "Clunkers" have been "killed". He's putting the "good motors" in a pile that he's going to sell to a rebuilder and the other stuff is going to the smelter. He wouldn't say who, but apparently there are a couple of dealerships not finishing off these cars as the government has directed them to.

About the new switch to parts sales? "Most of this shit is in such good shape I can make good money having people pick parts."

He told me that before, people knew he just crushed stuff and sent it off and the actual junkyards may pay them a little better because they can afford to as they'll be making the money back on the parts and then scrapping the carcas. He was just getting market value for the steel. Now he's selling parts because he's getting so many "clunkers" cars in that are of decent quality and have lots of usable stuff in them.

I asked if he was thinking about selling any of the "non-killed" Clunkers cars...he smiled and said...Noooooooo.

On a sad note, there was a 1948 Cadillac on the top of one pile that was soon to hit the crusher. :'(
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Although the '48 couldn't have been one of the CfC turn-in cars, it is still a shame it is heading for the crusher.

Comment

Boys, I've been suspecting a case of "midnight auto parts" going on with this CfC shit(1-ton GM duallies being traded in...big-blocks? HELL YES!).

Is it "legal"?

Of course not.

Do I care if someone "saves" something from destruction, thus ensuring that at least a hadful of parts is gonna still be available?

;D

Comment

DUDE! Don't get caught scamming C4C because the fine is huge!

"Section 1302(e)(2) provides that any person who commits a violation described in Section 1302(e)(1) shall be liable to the United States Government for a civil penalty of not more than $15,000 for each violation."

"The disposal facility may not sell or transfer the engine block of the vehicle or. . . the drivetrain [the transmission, drive shaft, and rear end may only be sold as separate parts], before they are crushed or shredded or otherwise allow the vehicle to leave the disposal facility before it is crushed or shredded."

And you've got few due process rights if you're busted: For example "the CARS Act does not require a hearing on the record before assessing civil penalties."

And there's other super-bad Juju that can happen:

"Anyone who submits false information on these forms or otherwise violates the CARS Act or this part may not only be subject to the procedures and penalties described in this subpart, but also civil and criminal penalties. Such civil
            and criminal penalties may include penalties three times any amount falsely claimed to be due from the United States pursuant to the False Claims Act (31 U.S.C. 3729), or imprisonment of up to 5 years and fines of up to $250,000 (18 U.S.C. 1001)."

FIVE YEARS IN THE FREAKIN' BIG HOUSE IS HARDLY WORTH IT FOR A CHEAP BBC . . . .

"NHTSA will enforce the [CARS] Act and this implementing regulation strictly and will work with the DOT Inspector General, the Department of Justice, and other government agencies to punish violations and fraud. . . . "They even have a "snitch" line: "The public is encouraged to contact NHTSA if it suspects any fraud is occurring in connection with the CARS program. Please call 1-866-CAR-7891, which is NHTSA?s dedicated hotline for calls about the program, Monday-Friday 8 am to 10 pm, TTY: 1-800-424-9153."

(Of course NO REAL BANGSHIFTER WOULD EVER MAKE SUCH A CALL TO THE POWERMAD "VANDAL-CRATS" . . . )

There might also be some potential conspiracy liability . . . . And my guess is that the feds will try to make an example of somebody, even if just to distract folks from the horrible job DOT did in running the welfare plan.

THIS IS BAD NEWS . . . SO STAY AWAY FROM IT!

On the other hand, I still would like to see what the inside of one of those "liquid glassed" engines looks like . . . .

Comment

whoa, whoa, whoa.....deep breaths, Speedzzter, ol'Smoke isn't scamming anyone or necessarily advocating it...too much pride to stoop to being a thief.

I'm just saying this is so full of contradictions......the Gov't. with their whole "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle" mantra, and then THIS crap?!

How much pollution and toxic nastiness is being created in order to take these "polluters" off the road?

My apologies if this is coming off as borderline/all-out political ranting.......

Comment

The dude has my number is anything with an LT1 comes in "un-dead".

Elliot Ness couldn't track junk down at this place. There's stacks of motors 25 feet high. It is admittedly a place where, even if a massive environmental cleanup were to be done, it won't be safe for human, plant, or animal life to exist for 100 years.

Speedy....I was hoping to get a look at one of the "cooked" motors myself but I was unable to. This isn't the kinda place you go wandering around with a camera either. I have a feeling these dudes would lose it if they saw me snapping photos.

Brian

Comment

Cash for clunkers is over, taxpayers spend 3 billion dollars to encourage folks to buy new overpriced turkeys. Most buy imports. Good plan. I even heard that dealers were charging sticker price when the customers were using CFC. One day my home page (Frontier) showed how a person had turned in a 90 Chevy C1500 for a new PT Cruiser, I don't think a PT can go for nearly 20 years. My trip to the junkyard turned up a 04 Explorer (was it even paid off?) and a near mint 97 F150 with 47K miles. You would think either of these would be worth more than $4500. I bet a fast talking salesman reeled the buyer in, and told them that their 04 Ford was worth nothing. That does not say much for Ford does it? Of course may Americans view the car with the same enthusiasm as a dishwasher.
                  I guess I will keep fixing the old cars, much to the dismay of our leaders.

Comment

Amen Dave!

Comment

I personally applaud any and all junkyard operators that are tucking away cars that they simply feel are "too young to die"....not in the sense of literally being young but perhaps just have too much potential to die. The government can make threats all they want about what will happen if you try to piss in their Cheerios but as Lohnes said Elliot Ness himself could never find this stuff if he had to. And it's not like the gvmt is going to form a Gustapo to start sweeping every barn and shop in the country for VIN tags.

I'm not saying anyone should do it...but I have no problem admitting that I would feel compelled to save a car I saw as too valuable to the car world to go away just yet. I won't go as far as describing how you would get one of these cars back on the road cause I know you're all a sharp enough bunch. This isn't about political views or sticking it to the man....it's about simply doing what I feel is right by preservation of the hobby.
                      www.Nightmare-Motorsports.com

Comment

Working...
                      X