No announcement yet.

Monday Time Killer: Everything You'd Ever Want to Know About the Ford 9-Inch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monday Time Killer: Everything You'd Ever Want to Know About the Ford 9-Inch

Re: Monday Time Killer: Everything You'd Ever Want to Know About the Ford 9-Inch

Here's one for the 9" afficionado's.....

I have what looks to be an early 9" axle - there are some C2 and C6 date codes ('62, '66 respectively)

However - it only has horizontal ribs in the casting of the center section.... NO vertical ribs.
    ???
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Re: Monday Time Killer: Everything You'd Ever Want to Know About the Ford 9-Inch

That's a pretty good site, but I need to correct one thing on it, regarding the double-rib "WAR" and "WAB" cases.

There is some question/controversy about the strength of these cases, particularly compared to the famous "N-case" nodular iron case. These double-rib cases go back to the beginning of the 9-inch. I have two that were under '58 Fords.

I have a friend in Michigan, Jay Prosche-Jensen, owner of Ultimate Driveline. Jay has been building rear ends for over 30 years, for everything from 4x4 trucks and restored muscle cars to Funny Cars.
      He too a sliver of metal from a double-rib WAR or WAB case, and an N-case, to a metallurgy lab and had them tested: they WAR-case had the same nodular iron content as the N-Case.

This conversation came up with a guy I worked with a few years ago, who is a great fabricator and has been involved with a lot of projects, and worked at some pretty good shops. He told me that fit with what he had discovered. Like me, he'd always wondered about those cases, too: he had a N-case and double-rib case, and tested them both on the shop's Rockwell tester. They tested the same Rockwell hardness, which was harder than the single-rib grey-iron case he tested.

Two different guys, tested about 15 years apart, in two different parts of the country, yielding complimentary results.

-Brad

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
        Here's one for the 9" afficionado's.....

I have what looks to be an early 9" axle - there are some C2 and C6 date codes ('62, '66 respectively)

However - it only has horizontal ribs in the casting of the center section.... NO vertical ribs.
        ???
        pictures...if you can't figure out how to post them email them to me
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
        X