Meddling Do-Gooders Try to Block Proposed New Hampshire Drag Strip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Meddling Do-Gooders Try to Block Proposed New Hampshire Drag Strip

"You people whine and complain that there is no business and no jobs, yet you try and block someone who is trying to bring revenue to your town?
    Sounds just like someone from Mass."

My fav quote from this debacle.

How about the build it like the sheik in Dubai? Indoors. It would only cost 5 billion.

Or maybe underground...

Comment

We had that same thing happen here, a guy in Lincoln used to run a strip, and closed it; he bought a large chunk of land off a highway by Lincoln, Nebraska.
      The local county council was all buddy buddy with the land owners.
      Cemetary was accross from the highway. Guess they were worried about waking the neighbors?
      There was studies done by UNO on the noise issue, the environmental impact studies, if there was a study they did it.
      Using the Heartland of America motorpark as an example of what a good facility can do as a positive thing for the economy. Hell, the NHRA had full support behind it, would have been a perfect site.
      Par for the course, the A$$holes in Lincoln Nebraska can't look any further that the half-glazed over eye site can permit.
      There were at least one of the city / county board memeber that slept through the damn hearings.

I have not heard anything more on it for some time...my only hope is the guy decided to develop a hog farm...to match the shitty additude of the county and the good ole boy network there.
      Andrew
      1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
      2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

I wish the Ingersons well, with their plans for developing the Dalton Valley Drag Strip on their property !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
          This story was my perfect excuse to write "meddling do-gooders"

Brian
          I object to the characterization that some myopic, mouth-breathing mopes opposing any racing facility anywhere are "do-gooders." "Meddling," yes, but certainly not "do-gooders."

What we really need are laws that: (a) allow for use of surplus airport land (i.e. the buffer zones around most airports) for race track development (and not just drag strips!); (b) which categorically allow motorsports land uses in industrial zoning; (c) prohibit "reactionary zoning;" (d) limit noise and traffic nuisance lawsuits; and (e) encourage cities to develop safe, legal, and convenient municipal motorsports parks.

The alternative would be to periodically close off a public street and let the racers have at it.

Too bad SEMA and the NHRA are too weak to obtain passage of these kinds of laws.

Comment

The local economy?

It's funny how you all say the local town's (that is, Dalton's) economy will improve because of the track. Really? And will they be staying in Dalton's hotel? Will they be eating at Dalton's restaurants? Will they be buying beer at Dalton's bar?

I'm afraid that's a bogus argument. Dalton doesn't have a hotel or a restaurant or a bar. What it DOES have is peace and quiet.

At least until you assholes destroy that for us. I'd be all for the track if the sound stopped at the property line. However, since dragsters can be heard up to TEN MILES AWAY, this will affect 200,000 acres of land, and not add one dollar to Dalton's revenue.

Comment

I'm guessing you never met these douchebags.

Originally posted by White Monster
              I wish the Ingersons well, with their plans for developing the Dalton Valley Drag Strip on their property !!!
              Yeah, if I lived in Florida, I'd be for putting a track in Dalton also. You can hear a dragster for TEN MILES, but it won't quite reach Daytona Beach. But I say we put it in YOUR town.

And the Ingersons are real peaches. Why not talk about the massive clear cut in Twin Mountain (10,000+ acres) that was done by these wonderful dears? How about how they wanted to spread industrial sludge from Massachussetts onto the raped land? How about the gravel pit on the John's River where the entire farm has been removed and replaced with stagnant pools of filth? And how that will eventually steal his neighbors' land since the road will slide into the Ingerson shithole and the state will have to move the road onto the neighbors' front lawns.

Yeah, that whole family is filled with lovely humanitarians.

Comment

Re: The local economy?

Originally posted by Proder
                It's funny how you all say the local town's (that is, Dalton's) economy will improve because of the track. Really? And will they be staying in Dalton's hotel? Will they be eating at Dalton's restaurants? Will they be buying beer at Dalton's bar?

I'm afraid that's a bogus argument. Dalton doesn't have a hotel or a restaurant or a bar. What it DOES have is peace and quiet.

At least until you assholes destroy that for us. I'd be all for the track if the sound stopped at the property line. However, since dragsters can be heard up to TEN MILES AWAY, this will affect 200,000 acres of land, and not add one dollar to Dalton's revenue.
                Tracks that are run in back yards don't host the kind of dragsters you see on TV. They usually don't have a quality racing surface, proper track prep and trained emergency personnel to host such cars, and the people who own those cars won't risk the loss of their life and equipment to run there. If this track was to be built what you would get is the guys who have been getting tired of sitting on their asses at the local car show, not dedicated race cars. You are not going to hear those cars from ten miles away. You would lucky to hear those cars from 1 mile away. I ran at a small track for the last 5 years that was run by a family in their back yard basically. The noise was quite a bit less than you would think. There were no complaints from neighbors. EVER. Some tracks have rules regarding noise, and require mufflers in an effort to keep noise to a minimum.

It doesn't sound like the track will be built anyway, you don't paint a pretty picture of these characters and you have to have the trust of the town to do what you say you are going to do.

Comment

loser

Comment

call bruton smith
                    these pansie cry because maybe you have fuelers there once a year
                    just build it -just build it
                    save the whales

Comment

Re: The local economy?

Hm.

You come here, make two posts and start calling people assholes....pretty classy.

Perhaps all of the area's street racers should give your Main Street a try? Would that be preferable to a racetrack?

Comment

Originally posted by Caveman

How about the build it like the sheik in Dubai? Indoors. It would only cost 5 billion.

Or maybe underground...
                        At least you could run during snow season.

Originally posted by Not A Duster
                        Dalton doesn't have a hotel or a restaurant or a bar. What it DOES have is peace and quiet.

. . . I'd be all for the track if the sound stopped at the property line. However, since dragsters can be heard up to TEN MILES AWAY, this will affect 200,000 acres of land, and not add one dollar to Dalton's revenue.
                        . . . .Perhaps all of the area's street racers should give your Main Street a try? Would that be preferable to a racetrack?
                        1. I'd love to see the study that proves that "dragsters can be heard up to TEN MILES AWAY." And the one that proves that "dragster noise" is a nuisance.

"Sound pressure level decreases by (−)6 dB per doubling of distance from the source to 1/2 (50 %) of the sound pressure initial value.""Sound pressure decreases inversely as thedistance increases with 1/r from the sound source." However, according to the U.S. DOT " experimental evidence has shown that where sound from a highway propagates close to "soft" ground (e.g., plowed farmland,grass, crops, etc.), the most suitable dropoff rate to use is not 3 dBA but rather 4.5 dBA per distance doubling. This 4.5 dBA dropoff rate is usually used in traffic noise analyses."

2. The "no revenue" claim assumes that the racers and spectators will spend no money with any local businesses. However, the construction of any viable entertainment facility tends to make support businesses viable. Thus, it is unlikely that no business development or expansion will occur if the track were to be approved.

3. "Peace and quiet" is an unreasonable baseline which could be used to stop any sort of progress. Every form of transportation affects "peace and quiet." The needs of a few hyper-sensitive "guardians" for virtual absolute silence imposes the tyranny of a tiny minority of adjacent land users. Should we ban railroads because of the noise of locomotives? Should air travel be restricted because we occassionally hear jet engines? Need we close our system of interstates to shield the ears of the sensitive?

Land use should not be dictated by those "naturalists" who require everything to remain in the primitive state. The standard should be whether the proposed use deprives the adjacent land owners of the substantial use of their properties.

4. There are 168 hours in a week. A drag strip would produce noise for only a tiny fraction of them.

Noise abatement strategies could minimize any impact.(e.g. "A noise barrier [dirt berm or wall] can achieve a 5 dB noise level reduction when it is tall enough to break the line-of-sight from the highway to the receiver and it can achieve an approximate 1.5 dB additional noise level reduction for each meter of height after it breaks the line-of-sight (with a maximum theoretical total reduction of 20 dBA) . . . Vegetation, if it is high enough, wide enough, and dense enough that it cannot be seen through, can decrease highway traffic noise. A 61-meter width of dense vegetation can reduce noise by 10 decibels, which cuts in half the loudness of traffic noise.")

Thus, it seems highly unreasonable and unfair to suggest that the nebulous right to "peace and quiet," if any, extends to all 168 hours, absent a compelling showing of actual damages.

Comment

NH has gone to the soft , criminal side ofour country
                          GREENLAND, N.H. ? Charlie Ireland has been growing corn, tomatoes, beans and "you name it" behind his Post Road home and selling it from a stand out front for four years. But due to thefts from his honor system cash box, the stand he converted from a boat trailer, bought from a divorcing friend, is shuttered forever, reports the Portsmouth Herald.

A sign out front reads, "Due to the theft problem I was forced to close for good. To the honest people, thanks for your business."
                          live free or die , BULL
                          3 seconds of boom is so awful ?

Comment

Some of the younger generations put a "five finger discount" spin on that "live free" part. (Oh, gee thanks, public schools >) Their motto is more like "Live free[loading then] die."

Comment

Working...
                            X