Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Audi President Says Chevy Volt is a Car for Idiots; We Think It Sounds Like a Perfect Fit For Him

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Audi President Says Chevy Volt is a Car for Idiots; We Think It Sounds Like a Perfect Fit For Hi

Originally posted by Speedzzter.blogspot
    Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
    Is it possible that the Bugatti is actually 1.2 million more car? Brian
    Of course not! The Veyron has about as much bang-for-the-buck value as a pair of Manolo Blahniks or a ride to "the Continent" on the Concorde (back when it flew).

Of course, the real question for Bangshifters is whether a ZR1 is really $90,000 better than a $1,000 pony car that's been home-fitted with a 700-h.p. crate engine and some suspension bolt-ons? (With the possible exclusions of attracting the opposite sex, and that whole warranty thing, I think not)
    Even more egregious may be the Mustang GT's paltry 300hp/$27,000 price tag.

Brian
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Re: Audi President Says Chevy Volt is a Car for Idiots; We Think It Sounds Like a Perfect Fit For Hi

Even more egregious may be the Mustang GT's paltry 300hp/$27,000 price tag.

Brian
      Sad, but true.

Ford's 315 (up from 2009's 300) is weak tea. I've been ripping FoMoCo for years on this point (see e.g. http://speedzzter.blogspot.com/2006/...-mustangs.html and http://speedzzter.blogspot.com/2006/...-gunfight.html)

If not for the 2010 'Stang's 300-pound weight advantage (and better build quality), Track Pack-equipped Mustang GTs (which sticker for over $34 thousand) would not be winning so many magazine ponycar shootouts.

Comment

The Mustang is weak sauce, and I tend to be a Ford guy. And don't get me started on the Shelby crap, may that soul-rotted poor excuse for a man leave us soon.

The ZR1 is an overblown exercise in ego, especially when they had the ZO6. Plexi hood window, really, can I option the gold chains too?

Veyron, "a fool and his money is soon parted." The answer to a question that no one was asking.

-----

Diesel is the proper answer to the mileage question. These electric contraptions are halo cars destined to be paraded around by the hollywood idiots and the media.

Comment

Say what you will, but the average Audi is a far sight more sophisticated and refined than the average Chevy
          you're in the wrong place to be trying to win an argument based on sophistication and refinement.

#### audi.

Ooops, I can't say that.
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by horsewidower
            And don't get me started on the Shelby crap, may that soul-rotted poor excuse for a man leave us soon.
            Now, now . . . While I may argue that some of the stuff offered in Shelby's name isn't really the best value, I do hope he stays with us for a long time.

And sure, Shelby has loaned or (usually) licensed his name and rep to all sorts of questionable stuff (e.g. FWD Shelby Dodges, Shelby Series 1 sports car, Unique Performance GT500E, lots of no-performance billet and bolt-on doo-dads), but that doesn't diminish his historical importance.

Without Shelby, where would the Mustang (and the Camaro) have ended up?

Without Shelby, would Ford Motor Company have won three of the first five SCCA Trans-Am championships?

Without Shelby, would the SBF ever really been taken seriously and developed as a performance car engine in the 1960s?

Without Shelby, would Ford have ever won Le Mans?

Without Shelby, would there have ever been a Viper?

Without Shelby, what would all those Cobra kit car builders be building?

Without Shelby, would there ever have been an American tuner car industry (Roush, Saleen, SMS, etc.)?

Now, do I think Shelby is in it for the money? Of course!

Has he made plenty of mistakes? Without a doubt!

Has he sued too many people? No comment. (Please don't sue me, Carroll . . . .)

Has he lived too much like a "rock star" at times? Probably.

Has he benefitted and received credit from the hard work of others? Just like every other organization leader in the history of man!

But Shelby is one of a handful of American hot rodders and racers who is an international legend. He is worthy of honor and respect (notwithstanding my disappointment over the weak-sister Shelby GT)

Originally posted by squirrel
            Say what you will, but the average Audi is a far sight more sophisticated and refined than the average Chevy
            you're in the wrong place to be trying to win an argument based on sophistication and refinement.
            I don't anticipate winning.

The vast majority of Bangshifters are steeped in mass-produced, large, cam-in-block OHV engines, installed in heavy, almost truck-like RWD vehicles (and I own several of those myself) Unfortunately, the OEM portion of the future does not belong to those "American traditional" vehicles.

As a true automobile enthusiast, I hope I'm objective enough to recognize the limitations of the storied traditions I'm immersed in, and to make the best of an uncertain motoring future. Part of the reason Detroit lost so much ground during the era of the regulated automobile/energy crises is that not enough Motown bureaucrats could see enough past their parochial areas of interest/assignment and local traditions to take in the "big picture."

There is no reason why a well-rounded Bangshifter cannot appreciate both "sophistication and refinement" and "blunt force trama." Both are a part of spirited motoring and motorsports.

Comment

There is no reason why a well-rounded Bangshifter cannot appreciate both "sophistication and refinement" and "blunt force trama." Both are a part of spirited motoring and motorsports.
              On this we agree! :D

Brian
              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Re: Audi President Says Chevy Volt is a Car for Idiots; We Think It Sounds Like

The only Audi I'd ever consider is the R8. Of course, it's waaaaay out of my price range, so the only way I'll ever drive one is in Forza Motorsport 3.

I've heard that the '11 Mustang, with the new Coyote 5.0 V8, the track pack upgrades, and a set of R-compound tires, could hang with a V8-powered BMW M3. With some tuning, who knows? 8)

Comment

On this we agree! :D

Brian
                  Second that!

Technology is good stuff if it's applied appropriately.
                  www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

There is no reason why a well-rounded Bangshifter cannot appreciate both "sophistication and refinement" and "blunt force trauma." Both are a part of spirited motoring and motorsports.
                    Quite possibly the most well-reasoned comment thus posted on this forum!
                    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Jeezzz....arrogance & ignorance from a German automaker???

Who woulda thought? :D

Comment

But Shelby is one of a handful of American hot rodders and racers who is an international legend. He is worthy of honor and respect (notwithstanding my disappointment over the weak-sister Shelby GT)
                        I have no problem with the legend, but like a ball player that overstays their skills he has done nothing but damage his reputation and tarnish his image for the last couple of decades. But this isn't a thread about Shelby.

Well written. I've owned both for years.

Bob

Comment

Re: Audi President Says Chevy Volt is a Car for Idiots; We Think It Sounds Like

Originally posted by ferrarimanf355

I've heard that the '11 Mustang, with the new Coyote 5.0 V8, the track pack upgrades, and a set of R-compound tires, could hang with a V8-powered BMW M3. With some tuning, who knows? 8)
                          If the Coyote "Job One" hits the streets with the ~ 400 h.p. that's often rumored, the Mustang GT will FINALLY have a slightly better power-to-weight ratio than the manual transmission Camaro SS. That ought to make things interesting (depending on price, availability, and whatever counter-move the "Government Motors" folks make).

Ford better hurry up and release the 2011 early, just like they did with the 2010. Waiting for the Coyote 5.0 is hurting Mustang sales.

Comment

Working...
                          X