Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craigslist Pick of the Week: A Monte We Wanty

Re: Craigslist Pick of the Week: A Monte We Wanty

Well, I must say I'm pleased to see Monte Carlos get favorable press from such a first rate rag as BS.com, and I think (or hope) that it'll be only a matter of time before people start to appreciate them, especially the most stunning version, the second generation (73-77 models). I guess the asking price for this particular car isn't too much; probably the engine is worth that much. I wonder if the engine is original. The seats are torn up and the car has a lot of non-factory add-ons, but to each his own I guess. Montes are bad-a$$ cars.

PS: I hate skinnies up front! You can't drive a car like that safely on the street.
    President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

Awesome. Every time I see one, especially in black, it makes me wanna cry like a girl--it was my first muscle car, I had a '72 in high school, 350/350, crappy black paint, torn vinyl interior, lots of rust... But it was my first, and it was loud and nasty and tons of fun.

I always preferred the 72, with the parking lights in the grille instead of the bumper. Made the front end much more neat.

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, the first edition of Monte Carlos are the ONLY ones that look good.
        The rest make me yawn.
        Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

10 grand is pretty good the paint looks nice and repro seat covers arent expensive.
          Great car! good pick. When you want to drive in style drive a Monte Carlo ;D.

Comment

My first car was an '84. I'll scan some photos in one of these days.

Had it painted Ford aculpulco blue and bolted on some cragars!

Brian
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

That's a mighty-fine Monte, especially in triple black. I dig the 70-72's a lot. I restored a '71 during my free time over the course of 4 years until my deal went sour. I would love to get another one.

Originally posted by tigeraid
              Awesome. Every time I see one, especially in black, it makes me wanna cry like a girl--it was my first muscle car, I had a '72 in high school, 350/350, crappy black paint, torn vinyl interior, lots of rust... But it was my first, and it was loud and nasty and tons of fun.

I always preferred the 72, with the parking lights in the grille instead of the bumper. Made the front end much more neat.
              Is that your Monte? Did you have a website before? I remember reading up on your car when I first got my '71. I really liked the Ferrari wheels.

Comment

Aw maaan....

Replace the cowl hood for the flat stocker, and add the disc-brake center caps on the rallys, and it's be almost a dead-ringer for the 402-powered '70 my brother-in-law had GIVEN to him by a former employer(the damned thing just SITS)!

I liked my black '86 Monte SS, but woulda dropped it off a cliff to have that first-gen....those are NICE cars!

Comment

I have always liked 1st gen Montes. I knew about a half a dozen guys in high school that had them. You could get one usually cheaper than a similar equipped Chevelle.

This car is about 20 miles away from me.

Comment

When Chad was born he came home from the hospital in a 1972 Midnight Bronze Monte Carlo with Crager SS mags. We wish we had that car now.

Comment

I was always under the impression that Monte Carlos equipped with the 402 were a rare beast. A guy in High School had one, and I'd not seen or heard of another since then.

Now I've seen several in the past few months.

Comment

yes please....

My moms hubby has a factory fresh 70 with less than 30K on the clock, he has owned since new...it is rootbeer brown with a black top and black interior...everything is original down to the 2brl and single exhaust, only change is the BFG RWL tires....I drool and lust over it and all the potential wasted sitting in the garage...he drives it once or twice every summer. It kills me, but whatever..it is his....for now.....
                        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by Darren N.
                          Is that your Monte? Did you have a website before? I remember reading up on your car when I first got my '71. I really liked the Ferrari wheels.
                          I did. budgetperformance.com, long ago. I was also on the first-gen monte carlo club board. I sold it to a guy in Michigan for $700 a couple years later. It was a beater, quite a bit of rust and problems, but I loved it. He proceeded to slander me on the board for selling him junk, but he knew what he was getting into and it was definitely "as is." When I finally get around to buying one again, I'm sure I'll have to get back on there and "rebuild" my reputation. :-\

Comment

Originally posted by studemax
                            As far as I'm concerned, the first edition of Monte Carlos are the ONLY ones that look good.
                            The rest make me yawn.
                            Well, that makes you like the majority of people who have an opinion on the subject. To me the first generation Monte is sort of ho-hum and merely a dressed-up Chevelle. The 73 Monte, on the other hand, was a daring example of automotive grandeur and is in my opinion one of the most beautiful designs to come out of Detroit. I think one day (or decade) it will eventually be recognized as such (as did Motor Trend in 1972 when they gave it the Car of the Year award). Maybe because it was such an astonishing sales hit, there were so many on the road that people got used to them and bored with them. But that doesn't in any way deprive them of their amazing cool factor. BTW, I don't think the 3rd generation was nearly able to follow through on the success of the 2nd generation's design, but the 4th has its own well-balanced look to it, so they're OK by me. I won't go into the FWD versions later.
                            President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

Working...
                            X