• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tragedy: Three Killed in Horrific Florida Street Racing Wreck

Re: Tragedy: Three Killed in Horrific Florida Street Racing Wreck

"the Camaro started to fishtail on the wet roadway . . ."

"All three were ejected from the car,"

A car-load of kids "racing" on a WET street ("Nova Road," btw) apparently without any seat belts or other safety equipment isn't "street racing" anymore than Russian Roulette is target shooting. It was "Fast and Furious" stupidity, plain and simple.

Real street racers wouldn't take such risks.

Racing at the track is the right thing to do, of course. But as fewer and fewer local tracks exist (and those that do fail to make effective outreach to newbies all tanked up on the reckless exploits of Hollywood "tuner" movies), more street racing is inevitable.

The article about the BBC Opal GT "funny car" (sic) is very sad and tragic but priceless "journalism" nonetheless . . .

"Emergency personnel exercised extreme caution as the vehicle had a nitrogen tank inside (commonly used in racing). There was concern about the nitrogen tank exploding."

Of course the photos show a well-mounted NITROUS OXIDE bottle, not a "nitrogen tank." :

Here's more hokey goodness: "The car was heavily modified apparently for racing."

You think? Or maybe it was, as "The Boss" once sang about, an elaborate "suicide machine" (http://www.lyricsfreak.com/b/bruce+s..._20025020.html)

Perhaps somebody could inject a little "nitrogen" into the engine of that ill-informed journalist's car (a Prius, no doubt) . . . .

Comment

I just wish they would learn and keep safety first ...

Comment

Nova Road, eh?

About 10 minutes from where *I* got in my "streetracing" accident in 1992. I wasn't racing, I was late showing up to the races and got rear-ended by a drunk driver with his headlights turned off.

I was lucky - I only spent the next year learning how to walk. Sucks for these kids and their families. RIP.
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Tragic accident.Names have been released.

Comment

So Mom was along with the kids on an evening of street racing? Ummmm...something just ain't right there.

Certainly a tragedy that should never have happened.

Comment

Working...
            X