Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watch Out, The Smog Police Have Gone Mobile!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch Out, The Smog Police Have Gone Mobile!

Re: Watch Out, The Smog Police Have Gone Mobile!

So did DF get his truck back or did it pass inspection? Maybe they can start a new cash for clunkers where they decide that you need a new car and confiscate yours at a side of the road inspection site. :

Comment

I would have asked for the 3 dollars back, for the gas they used during the testing.

Comment

The California smog police have been mobile for a long long time, but the portable dyno thing is nuts.

The guy who invented the remote sniffer thing did some testing with it in AZ in the 90s and determined that annual smog testing did nothing to lower emissions from cars. I wonder what CARB will find? My guess is that they'll find that they are doing a great job....go figure....

(and how did I know you'd be driving DFs truck even before I scrolled down to the picture of it?)
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Are they really expecting to see serious numbers of cars that passed when they should not have? What are worried about 10%? 20%? or less than 1%?

The 'testers' getting cranky about you taking pictures and asking questions just tells me that they know what they are doing is questionable. The obvious lack of answers and cooperation towards you says they want to stay out of the public eye as much as possible. The reasons could be anything from the BAR wasting millions of dollars when the state in $24billion in debt this year alone to be embarrassed that they know this kind of testing won't prove anything.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, so did it pass?? ;D

Actually I've seen that set up before. They've had them for years. I'm pretty sure I've seen the side of the road roller's and tester when I was driving my Firebird, which was wrecked in 2001, so that's been quite some time.
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I'd love an opportunity to audit that test site. Chances are I could shut 'em down on at least a dozen areas. But IF they really are auditing their facilities there isn't much one can do - it is a QC check. But if indeed there is some jeopardy to the owners of the vehicles being tested then I'd scream bloody murder.

Dan

Comment

Wild idea, but why not just spot check the testing stations unannounced rather than set these things up on the side of the road?

Massachusetts just changed their testing so cars with OBD II are plugged in and anything before 1996 gets the visual check and safety look.

Brian
                That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

They know that checking testing stations won't tell them much...they need to sample a lot of actual cars in traffic.

Sounds like MA is somewhat sensible.

My fabulous web page

Comment

I'm with Brian. They should be taking in totally random vehicles (hell, make use of some police impounded cars or something) and see how the same vehicles do across 3 or so facilities....not stopping random cars throughout the day.

How this makes any sense at all is beyond me.
                    www.Nightmare-Motorsports.com

Comment

Originally posted by NITMARE
                      I'm with Brian. They should be taking in totally random vehicles (hell, make use of some police impounded cars or something) and see how the same vehicles do across 3 or so facilities....not stopping random cars throughout the day.

It's the Government. Not supposed to make sense. >

Comment

Originally posted by olbuddybob
                        Maybe they can start a new cash for clunkers where they decide that you need a new car and confiscate yours at a side of the road inspection site.
                        If they could figure out a way to fund it . . . .

How it would most likely work is:

(a) profile likely offenders (e.g. hot rods, older vehicles)
                        (b) test or "ticket then test" (if they're willing to let a few through the cracks to avoid the hassle of a moble test rig)
                        (c) confiscate the offending vehicles (after all they're being used to commit an "environmental crime" on the public streets)

Comment

Originally posted by NITMARE
                          It makes sense to me.

My fabulous web page

Comment

You operate on a higher plane Jim. :D

Brian
                            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

If you want to see if a system works, you have to step outside that system....

My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                              X